[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #694: Tracking COVID-19 goes high-tech, but possibly low-privacy

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Apr 15 10:30:09 EDT 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #694: Tracking COVID-19 goes high-tech, but possibly low-privacy
April 15th, 2020

[image: Woman with marker made up of computer circuits] The CDC director
says very aggressive contact tracing
<https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/10/831200054/cdc-director-very-aggressive-contact-tracing-needed-for-u-s-to-return-to-normal>
will be required to scale back the current measures to contain the spread
of COVID-19. Even as isolated as I've been, if I came down with symptoms
today, I wouldn't be able to remember everyone I've potentially exposed in
the past two weeks. Researchers studying the alarming infection rate of the
novel coronavirus suggest that epidemiologists shouldn't rely on our faulty
memories, but get data from our smartphones instead.

   -
   - MIT develops privacy-preserving COVID-19 contact tracing insprired by
   Apple's 'Find My' feature
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/09/mit-develops-privacy-preserving-covid-19-contact-tracing-inspired-by-apples-find-my-feature/>
   [*Tech Crunch*] "MIT researchers have devised a new method to would
   provide automated contact tracing that taps into the Bluetooth signals sent
   out by everyone’s mobile devices, tying contacts to random numbers that
   aren’t linked to an individual’s identity in any way.
   - Apple and Google detail bold and ambitious plan to track COVID-19 at
   scale
   <https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/04/apple-and-google-detail-bold-and-ambitious-plan-to-track-covid-19-at-scale/>
   [*Ars Technica*] "In the event someone reports to the system that she
   has tested positive, her phone will contact a central server and upload 14
   days of her identifiers. Non-infected users download daily tracing keys...
   The scheme is similar to the way raffle tickets work, with one party
   getting half of a paper ticket, the other party getting the other half,
   and—in theory at least—no one else being the wiser."
   - As Coronavirus Surveillance Escalates, Personal Privacy Plummets
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/technology/coronavirus-surveillance-tracking-privacy.html>
   [*New York Times*] "Tracking entire populations to combat the pandemic
   now could open the doors to more invasive forms of government snooping
   later."
   - Fighting Covid-19 Shouldn't Mean Abandoning Human Rights
   <https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-fighting-covid-19-shouldnt-mean-abandoning-human-rights/>
   [*Wired*] "Surveillance programs should have unambiguous sunset clauses
   so that they cannot continue once the pandemic ends. Information collected
   during the outbreak should be firewalled from other governmental or
   commercial uses and then should generally be destroyed after the virus is
   brought under control."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Yasaka, Tyler M., et al. “Peer-to-Peer Contact Tracing: Development of
   a Privacy-Preserving Smartphone App
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmedm&AN=32240973&site=ehost-live>
   .” *JMIR mHealth and uHealth*, vol. 8, no. 4, Apr. 2020, p. e18936.
   - “Creating the Coronopticon: Surveillance through Apps and Data
   Networks Can Do Much to Keep Covid-19 at Bay, but at What Cost?
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=142502242&site=ehost-live>
   ” *Economist*, vol. 434, no. 9187, Mar. 2020, p. 12.
   - He, Zhenjian. “What Further Should Be Done to Control COVID-19
   Outbreaks in Addition to Cases Isolation and Contact Tracing Measures?
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmedm&AN=32164708&site=ehost-live>
   ” *BMC Medicine*, vol. 18, no. 1, Mar. 2020, p. 80.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.