[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #681: Is the time of TikTok over?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Aug 12 10:30:21 EDT 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #681: Is the time of TikTok over?
August 12th, 2020

[image: Cell phone showing Tiktok on the grass] I'm no stranger to social
media (I've written a few books <https://www.meanlaura.com/books/> about
it). However, my teenaged son has been thoroughly uninterested in it, much
to my relief. I've never really had to police posts or tweets, or worry
overly much about cyberbullying, since he's non-existent on any social
platform. So, imagine my surprise to find that he'd suddenly installed
TikTok <https://www.tiktok.com/>.

He and his friends have been using TikTok, albeit almost entirely as
content consumers, not producers. Where even Instagram failed to capture
their attention, TikTok has. And to say that TikTok is controversial right
now might be a serious understatement. The U.S. president has banned it
<https://mashable.com/video/trump-executive-order-tiktok/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29>
and another Chinese app, WeChat. Both platforms are used by millions and
their disappearance won't be taken lightly.

   -
   - TikTok lawsuit against Trump administration could come as early as
   Tuesday
   <https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/8/21360101/tiktok-lawsuit-trump-ban-executive-order>
   [The Verge] " “We have made clear that TikTok has never shared user data
   with the Chinese government, nor censored content at its request,” the blog
   posts states. “This Executive Order risks undermining global businesses’
   trust in the United States’ commitment to the rule of law, which has served
   as a magnet for investment and spurred decades of American economic growth.
   And it sets a dangerous precedent for the concept of free expression and
   open markets.”"
   - Trump's WeChat Ban May Alienate His Chinese Supporters
   <https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-trumps-wechat-ban-may-alienate-his-chinese-supporters/>
   [Wired] "WeChat, on the other hand, is mainly favored in the US by most of
   the country’s more than 3 million Chinese immigrants of all ages, both to
   communicate with other Chinese in the country and with people back home in
   China, where it is ubiquitous and has most of its billion-strong user base.
   In China, WeChat is about as powerful as Twitter, WhatsApp, and Facebook
   are combined in the US."
   - VPN booms as countries around the world mull TikTok bans
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/09/tiktok-bans-vpn-surges/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29>
   [TechCrunch] "The use of VPNs can let users access an online service from
   an encrypted tunnel and thus bypass app blocks. “We are seeing an
   increasing number of governments around the world attempting to control the
   information their citizens can access,” observes Harold Li, vice president
   of ExpressVPN, which claims <https://www.expressvpn.com/press> to have
   over 3,000 servers across 94 countries. “For this reason, VPNs are used to
   access blocked sites and services by many worldwide.”"
   - Trump’s Executive Orders Hurt More Than TikTok and WeChat
   <https://www.wired.com/story/trumps-executive-orders-hurt-more-tiktok-wechat/>
   [Wired] "While vaguely worded, the orders could have far-reaching
   consequences, including for the future of America’s relatively free and
   open internet. WeChat, owned by China’s Tencent, is used by millions of
   people in the US to maintain personal and business relationships with
   people in China. Many American technology firms also have customers in the
   country, and could be hurt by any response from Beijing. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - What Makes These Librarians TikTok?
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lfh&AN=144738674>
   (Jensen, K. (2020). What Makes These Librarians TikTok? *School Library
   Journal*, *66*(8), 32–34.)
   - TikTok Movement
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=144735472&site=ehost-live>
   (SINGH, A. (2020). Tiktok Movement. *Nightline (ABC)*, 1.)
   - TikTok is facing a global backlash over security concerns. Should we
   be worried about it here?
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2059/ehpl/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=5008a14f-5422-4583-a4aa-9bcf292977ce%40sdc-v-sessmgr01&bdata=&preview=false#AN=P6S039964397820&db=cmh>
   (TikTok is facing a global backlash over security concerns. Should we be
   worried about it here? (n.d.). *ABC Premium News*.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.