[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #685: Netflix has competition now, but it isn't chillin'

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 12 10:44:35 EST 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #685: Netflix has competition now, but it isn't chillin'
February 12th, 2020

[image: Netflix shown on a tablet] In our house, our primary streaming
service is Netflix <https://netflix.com>, without a doubt. We do have
Amazon Prime Video and Hulu (the latter courtesy of our Spotify
subscription) but, by far, my family spends the most hours watching
Netflix. (OK, at least *I* spend the most time watching Netflix, because I
have a standup comedy habit that can't be gratified elsewhere.) While we've
eyed other streaming services, we haven't committed...yet. Netflix has
enough to fill what little free time we have.

While Netflix didn't win big at the Oscars
<https://sports.yahoo.com/oscars-irishman-strikes-netflix-nets-050216359.html>
this year, it still has been making headlines. The streaming service has
known for some time that the streaming wars would eventually heat up, and
some recent news make it evident that Netflix is ready for the competition.

   -
   - How Netflix is winning more with less content
   <https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/1/27/21083551/netflix-library-titles-decline-awards>
   [Vox Recode] " There’s a lot less stuff on Netflix these days — and that’s
   not necessarily a bad thing. New data shows that Netflix’s library is way
   smaller than it used to be, but the streaming service’s latest successes
   with original content suggest that its years-old strategy to move away from
   licensing content could finally be paying off."
   - 'Netflix effect' keeping film crews busy, actor says
   <https://www.koat.com/article/netflix-effect-keeping-film-crews-busy-actor-says/30843659#>
   [KOAT7 Action News] "Film workers in front of the camera agree there is no
   shortage of work in New Mexico. 'Because of what we all seem to be calling
   the "Netflix effect," the industry has been booming here,' said Barbara
   Kerford, a local actress who moved her 17-year acting career in Los Angeles
   to the Duke City."
   - Netflix begins streaming in AV1 on Android
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/06/netflix-av1-android/> [TechCrunch] "
   The world’s biggest streaming giant said on Wednesday that by switching
   from Google’s  <https://crunchbase.com/organization/google> VP9 — which
   it previously used on Android — to AV1, its compression efficiency has gone
   up by 20%."
   - Netflix dumping its autoplay trailers is a wakeup call for tech
   <https://mashable.com/article/netflix-turn-off-stop-autoplay-trailers/>
   [Mashable] "As for Netflix, it's hardly out of the doghouse yet. The
   streaming giant still automatically minimizes the credits at the end of a
   movie or show, overly eager to jam something else into your eyeballs. Not
   only is this jarring — give us a moment to process our emotions, you ghouls
   — but many viewers (including the creator of *Bojack Horseman*) find it
   disrespectful to the creators who spent years of their lives on this piece
   of entertainment."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - The Netflix Literary Connection
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=135884713&site=ehost-live>
   ( Boog, J. (2019). The Netflix Literary Connection. *Publishers Weekly*,
   *266*(15), 4–6. )
   - Ben & Jerry's Will Help You Netflix And Chill With 'Netflix &
   Chilll'd'
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=DBV5BENCFC26121D7F40211>
   ( Jayson Derrick. (2020, January 16). Ben & Jerry’s Will Help You Netflix
   And Chill With “Netflix & Chilll’d.” )
   - Judge bars 'gay Jesus' comedy film on Netflix
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2458/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=ddebaff6-a0bd-43f8-a778-5ddb3743fde1%40sessionmgr4006&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=141121560&db=pwh>(
   Judge bars “gay Jesus” comedy film on Netflix. (2020, January 9). *Evening
   Standard*, 24. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.