[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #684: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Facebook

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 5 10:31:47 EST 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #684: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Facebook
February 5th, 2020

[image: Houilles, France - April 10, 2018:Simulation on the facebook search
bar of a user looking for information on privacy and the setting of his
user account] January 28 was Data Privacy Day
<https://staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/>, and Facebook took the
occasion to announce that it was putting its "Clear History" function, now
rechristened Off-Facebook Activity Tool
<https://www.facebook.com/off_facebook_activity/>, into general release.
Not a cure-all, but certainly a step in the right direction. Good thing we
only have to think about data privacy on one day a year, right?

   -
   - Starting the Decade by Giving You More Control Over Your Privacy
   <https://about.fb.com/news/2020/01/data-privacy-day-2020/> [*FB.com*]
   "Other businesses send us information about your activity on their sites
   and we use that information to show you ads that are relevant to you. Now
   you can see a summary of that information and clear it from your account if
   you want to."
   - How to Change Your Off-Facebook Activity Settings
   <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/how-change-your-facebook-activity-settings>
   [*Electronic Frontier Foundation*] "This tutorial will guide you through
   the steps to not only 'clear' the off-Facebook activity already linked with
   your account, but also to prevent future activity from being associated
   with your account going forward."
   - All users can now access Facebook’s tool for controlling which apps
   and sites can share data for ad-targeting
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/28/all-users-can-now-access-facebooks-tool-for-controlling-which-apps-and-sites-can-share-data-for-ad-targeting/>
   [*TechCrunch*] "To get the third-party to delete whatever data it has
   collected on you, you’ll still need to follow its own procedures to delete
   your account or clear your data there."
   - Facebook's 'Clear History' Tool Doesn't Clear Shit
   <https://gizmodo.com/facebooks-clear-history-tool-doesnt-clear-shit-1841305764>
   [*Gizmodo*] "The way I browse any number of sites and apps will
   ultimately *still* make its way to Facebook, and *still* be used for
   targeted advertising across... those sites and apps. Only now, my
   on-Facebook life—the cat groups I join, the statuses I comment on, the
   concerts I’m “interested” in (but never actually attend)—won’t be a part of
   that profile."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - “Data Privacy Day: Enhance Data Security in 10 Minutes or Less
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=202001280500PR.NEWS.USPR.NE01720&site=ehost-live>
   .” *PR Newswire US*, 28 Jan. 2020.
   - Wagner, Kurt. “Facebook Warns Advertisers ‘Clear History’ May Hurt
   Targeting
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=140649503&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Bloomberg.Com*, May 2019, p. N.PAG.
   - Romm, Tony. “Facebook’s ‘Clear History’ Tool Has Ambiguous
   Data-Privacy Controls
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=wapo.354789a6-c38b-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Washington Post, The*, 2019 8AD.

   subscribing to the following URL: