[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #762: Too much screentime? Do limits on kids even matter now?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Aug 4 10:30:00 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #762: Too much screentime? Do limits on kids even matter now?
August 4th, 2021

[image: Two boys looking at a tablet] Pre-pandemic, we had very strict
boundaries on my teenage son's screen time. He was allotted a certain time
amount on school nights, with slightly more allowed on weekends. When
remote learning and lockdown arrived however, those limits went straight
out the window. We tried to keep the original system but found it was
entirely unpractical. Aside from the hours spent in online school, there
was almost nothing else for him to do other than play games and hang out
with his friends virtually (especially in the winter!). In the beginning,
my son was in digital heaven. But, it got to a point, after several months
of endless screen time, that even he grew bored of most of these
activities.

With in-person school on the near horizon, we're not the only parents
struggling to rein in our child's screen time again. It's not just parents
who are worried about how much time young people have spent online. The
experts are weighing in, and the opinions are mixed.

   -
   - After pandemic free-for-all, parents struggle to reinstate screen-time
   rules
   <https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/at-home/after-pandemic-free-for-all-parents-struggle-to-reinstate-screen-time-rules/>
   [The Seattle Times] "While some parents just want their kids to be social
   or active again, many have noticed personality and behavioral changes in
   their children. They’re irritable, argumentative and have poor focus. Some
   have become anxious or depressed, or throw more tantrums and fly into
   rages."
   - Nearsightedness is on the rise in kids, screen time may be to blame
   <https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/nearsightedness-is-rise-kids-screen-time-may-be-blame/GJG5DKGIWFGMPEE3OYYCCB6QLA/>
   [WPXI.com] "For some children, screen time rose more than 60 percent during
   the pandemic. And with that so did cases of myopia, also known as
   nearsightedness."
   - The messy truth about kids’ screen time
   <https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=158&emc=edit_ot_20210726&instance_id=36274&nl=on-tech-with-shira-ovide&productCode=OT&regi_id=84399001&segment_id=64450&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2F241af5dd-6576-595c-8281-98766d470211&user_id=57a70bcb4201ae850b1b3c76a2f893b3>
   [NY Times] "“We have to stop looking at this as a black-and-white issue,”
   Dr. Russo Johnson told me. “You don’t want your kids always glued to
   screens. That is common sense,” she said. “But these things are not evil.
   There is a lot of variety, and everything is not created equal.”
   - I'm a neuroscientist. I'm not worried about how screens will affect
   kids' brains — here's why
   <https://www.businessinsider.com/neuroscientist-effects-of-kids-being-raised-on-screens-2021-7>
   [Business Insider] "It's not clear what all the social and political
   consequences of the internet will be, but from a neuroscience perspective
   it is poised to unlock a much richer level of education."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Our kids are in front of screens for a long time. But one expert says
   it doesn`t have to be a bad thing
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=32U1468647991TOS&site=ehost-live>
   (AL ROKER. (n.d.). Our kids are in front of screens for a long time. But
   one expert says it doesn`t have to be a bad thing. *Today Show (NBC)*.)
   - KIDS' SOARING SCREEN TIME
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=148253264&site=ehost-live>
   (WORLEY, B., & ROBERTS, R. (2021). Kids’ Soaring Screen Time. *Good
   Morning America (ABC)*, 1.)
   - Healthy screen time is one challenge of distance learning
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=prh&AN=145730595&site=ehost-live>
   (Healthy screen time is one challenge of distance learning. (2020). *Science
   News for Students*, N.PAG.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.