[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #763: Digital IDs are now a thing. But, are they safe?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Aug 11 10:30:01 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #763: Digital IDs are now a thing. But, are they safe?
August 11th, 2021

[image: License] I hate carrying things around in my pockets—big
collections of keys, jangling coins, a bulky phone case—but the worst for
me is sitting on a bulging wallet. (I'm old; I have sciatica flare-ups.) I
keep trying the minimalist wallets, but the number of IDs that I need to
carry around, especially that enormous, doesn't-fit-into-anything CDC
vaccination card, just keeps growing, now matter how many loyalty cards I
shred. Could my phone take the place of all that? As with so much we write
about here in the 4cast, the outlook appears both promising and troubling.

   -
   - Colleges across the US and Canada are adopting virtual student IDs
   <https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609571/apple-wallet-student-ids-university-expansion>
   [*The Verge*] "In theory, the virtual student ID should offer all the
   functionality of a regular student ID — holders can access restricted areas
   of campus or pay for amenities like food and laundry by placing their
   iPhone or Apple Watch near a physical reader... The app can also store
   hotel room keys with the release of iOS 15 and will support driver’s
   licenses and state IDs."
   - Privacy and efficacy concerns remain for New York's vaccine passport
   apps
   <https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/privacy-efficacy-concerns-remain-new-york-s-vaccine-passport-apps-n1276037>
   [*NBC News*] "The reliability of these systems hinge on the accuracy of
   the underlying data — and given the speed, distributed nature, and
   politicization of how COVID vaccinations have been deployed — that
   underlying data is often unreliable or incomplete."
   - Better digital living with blockchain-backed verifiable credentials
   <https://thepaypers.com/expert-opinion/better-digital-living-with-blockchain-backed-verifiable-credentials--1250869>
   [*The Paypers: Voice of the Industry*] "By adopting an open approach to
   building this new interoperable, standardised framework, we can offer
   governments, businesses, institutions and the consumer themselves a way to
   issue, store and hold their identification and all their credentials in a
   secure digital wallet, easily shared with whomever needs to see them, and
   only them. Think how much easier life will be when you don’t have to worry
   about where your birth certificate is."
   - How some countries are using digital ID to exclude vulnerable people
   around the world
   <https://theconversation.com/how-some-countries-are-using-digital-id-to-exclude-vulnerable-people-around-the-world-164879>
*[The
   Conversation*] "Debates like these are only going to become more
   prevalent over the next 10 years: a homeless man who can no longer travel
   on public transport because the bus company only takes card, not cash
   payments; an elderly African American woman blocked from voting because she
   cannot provide a federal-issued ID; or a woman told she has to stop working
   because the system has flagged her up as an 'illegal' immigrant."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Zakrzewski, Cat. “Tech Giants Are Teaming up to Create Digital
   Coronavirus Vaccination Records
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=wapo.ef1308ce-5a7a-11eb-8bcf-3877871c819d&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Washington Post, The*, 2021 Autumn 1AD.
   - Glick, Bryan. “Promising Progress on Digital ID Market
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=151622434&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Computer Weekly*, July 2021, p. 15.
   - Miller, Ben. “Utah’s New Mobile ID Pilot Might Be the Future of
   Digital ID
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=2W61392843489&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Government Technology*, 31 Mar. 2021.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.