[OPLINLIST] Centralized selection, summary of responses

Meredith Southard msouthard@worthingtonlibraries.org
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:02:34 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38917.BCE65290

Several weeks ago I requested information from libraries that are
considering or have implemented centralized selection plans for their
collections. Many people emailed me to express interest in the responses I
received...unfortunately, not so many emailed with their experiences. Those
who did, however, were very detailed in their replies. Thank you to everyone
who wrote!

Meredith Southard
Reference Librarian
Worthington Libraries
http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org <http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org>

Some responses:

"We are currently feeling some resistance to centralized selection for the
following reasons: Individuality of branches--how can a selector at one
branch know what is really needed at another? Staff feels overworked, but
reluctant to give up responsibility for that part of job. Staff doesn't want
to feel out of touch with new titles/trends."

"I think that management is pleased with the results of our decision to
centralize selection. The primary downside was a fairly significant morale
problem on the part of some of the reference/children's librarians who saw
selection as an integral part of their professional duties. I still hear
from some of the reference people that they are "constantly" making
purchasing recommendations to the selectors to make up for the "important"
titles that have been missed. The numbers do not support this perception,
however. To the plus side, we are devoting many, many fewer staff hours to
the selection process, meaning that more staff time is available for public
service activities. Although our selectors were feeling a bit overwhelmed at
first, moving to outsourcing selection has helped considerably. Our
selectors now manage a process rather than picking materials title-by-title.
Use of the two facilities as measured by circulation has increased by 30%
over the past two years, so moving to centralized circulation does not seem
to have hurt public service!

I certainly feel comfortable with the decision that we made. I only wish
that I could have better handled the change process so as to ease the blow
to the public service staff who lost their selection responsibilities."

"[We]converted to centralized selection complete with outsourced processing
for non-fiction approximately 18 months ago. Prior to that we had a system
much like yours.

We had 2 goals:
1. Reduce the amount of staff time used in selection.
2. Decrease the amount of time it took between an ordering tool
arriving in the library and the book actually going out on the floor
for the customers.
In both these areas we have been successful.  We reduced the number of
selectors for books from around 16 to 6 (4 for non-fiction, 2 for
fiction.) We significantly reduced the time from ordering tool
arriving in the library to book on shelf.  It still does vary but we
probably save approximately 2-4 weeks depending upon any backlog in
technical services.
We are still tweaking the system but basically it works like this:  4
non-fiction selectors review standard tools, meet each week for 4
hours and turn around ordering tools in 7 days or less.  Orders are
placed directly with Brodart and soon also with B&T.  Materials arrive
pre-processed at Main and in each of the 3 branches. 2 non-fiction
selectors meet once every two weeks for 4 hours (or over the
phone) and submit orders thru B&T.  Fiction orders are not
pre-processed, but our technical services department marks them
"priority" and they are usually on the computer within 2 to 3 days.
On the shelf within a week to 10 days.
One problem we confronted with BIBZ (Brodart's online service) was
that their "lists" were not online any faster than they were arriving
snail mail.  To circumvent this, our non-fiction selectors continue to
use Ingram, Booklist, PW and a few other sources.  They review the
tools - (turnaround time 1 week) and make selections in Brodart using ISBNs.
One of the biggest hurdles we anticipated never materialized.  We
presumed there would be a great deal of dissatisfaction by eliminating
so many people from the selection process.  It never happened.  No one
griped. Most were given other assignments.  And all are given the
opportunity to be "scouts" - e-mailing the selectors with ideas for
purchase."

"I am a firm believer in centralized selection.  I had instituted at the
Medina County District Library about 20 years ago, and it is still in
effect.  Two librarians select all of the materials for the whole system,
spending close to a million dollars a year.  The other staff members are
responsible for public service.  Also, there is a very good reporting system
in place for staff to make suggestions.  This way they don't have to hurry
to read the journals. "

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38917.BCE65290

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>Centralized selection, summary of responses</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Several weeks ago I =
requested information from libraries that are considering or have =
implemented centralized selection plans for their collections. Many =
people emailed me to express interest in</FONT> <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">the responses I received</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">...unfortunately, not so many emailed with their =
experiences. Those who did, however, were very detailed in their</FONT> =
<FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">replies</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">. Thank you to everyone who wrote!</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Meredith =
Southard</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Reference =
Librarian</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Worthington =
Libraries</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><A HREF=3D"http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org"><FONT =
SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org</FONT></A></P>
<BR>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Some =

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">"We are currently feeling =
some resistance to centralized selection for the following reasons: =
Individuality of branches--how can a selector at one branch know what =
is really needed at another? Staff feels overworked, but reluctant to =
give up responsibility for that part of job. Staff doesn't want to feel =
out of touch with new titles/trends."</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">"I think that management =
is pleased with the results of our decision to centralize selection. =
The primary downside was a fairly significant morale problem on the =
part of some of the reference/children's librarians who saw selection =
as an integral part of their professional duties. I still hear from =
some of the reference people that they are &quot;constantly&quot; =
making purchasing recommendations to the selectors to make up for the =
&quot;important&quot; titles that have been missed. The numbers do not =
support this perception, however. To the plus side, we are devoting =
many, many fewer staff hours to the selection process, meaning that =
more staff time is available for public service activities. Although =
our selectors were feeling a bit overwhelmed at first, moving to =
outsourcing selection has helped considerably. Our selectors now manage =
a process rather than picking materials title-by-title. Use of the two =
facilities as measured by circulation has increased by 30% over the =
past two years, so moving to centralized circulation does not seem to =
have hurt public service!</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I certainly feel =
comfortable with the decision that we made. I only wish that I could =
have better handled the change process so as to ease the blow to the =
public service staff who lost their selection =
responsibilities."</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">"[We]converted to =
centralized selection complete with outsourced processing for =
non-fiction approximately 18 months ago. Prior to that we had a system =
much like yours.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We had 2 =
goals:</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1. Reduce the amount of =
staff time used in selection.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2. Decrease the amount of =
time it took between an ordering tool </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">arriving in the library =
and the book actually going out on the floor </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">for the =
customers.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In both these areas we =
have been successful.&nbsp; We reduced the number of </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">selectors for books from =
around 16 to 6 (4 for non-fiction, 2 for</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fiction.) We =
significantly reduced the time from ordering tool </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">arriving in the library =
to book on shelf.&nbsp; It still does vary but we </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">probably save =
approximately 2-4 weeks depending upon any backlog in </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">technical =
services.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We are still tweaking the =
system but basically it works like this:&nbsp; 4 </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">non-fiction selectors =
review standard tools, meet each week for 4 </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">hours and turn around =
ordering tools in 7 days or less.&nbsp; Orders are </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">placed directly with =
Brodart and soon also with B&amp;T.&nbsp; Materials arrive </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">pre-processed at Main and =
in each of the 3 branches. 2 non-fiction </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">selectors meet once every =
two weeks for 4 hours (or over the</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">phone) and submit orders =
thru B&amp;T.&nbsp; Fiction orders are not </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">pre-processed, but our =
technical services department marks them </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;priority&quot; and =
they are usually on the computer within 2 to 3 days.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">On the shelf within a =
week to 10 days.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">One problem we confronted =
with BIBZ (Brodart's online service) was </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">that their =
&quot;lists&quot; were not online any faster than they were arriving =
</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">snail mail.&nbsp; To =
circumvent this, our non-fiction selectors continue to </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">use Ingram, Booklist, PW =
and a few other sources.&nbsp; They review the </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">tools - (turnaround time =
1 week) and make selections in Brodart using ISBNs.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">One of the biggest =
hurdles we anticipated never materialized.&nbsp; We </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">presumed there would be a =
great deal of dissatisfaction by eliminating </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">so many people from the =
selection process.&nbsp; It never happened.&nbsp; No one </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">griped. Most were given =
other assignments.&nbsp; And all are given the </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">opportunity to be =
&quot;scouts&quot; - e-mailing the selectors with ideas for </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">purchase."</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">"I am a firm believer in =
centralized selection.&nbsp; I had instituted at the Medina County =
District Library about 20 years ago, and it is still in effect.&nbsp; =
Two librarians select all of the materials for the whole system, =
spending close to a million dollars a year.&nbsp; The other staff =
members are responsible for public service.&nbsp; Also, there is a very =
good reporting system in place for staff to make suggestions.&nbsp; =
This way they don't have to hurry to read the =
journals.&nbsp;"</FONT></P>
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>