[OPLINLIST] Business conducted on OPLIN computers

Martha Lee Martha Lee" <leem1@oplin.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:50:32 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C396F7.FBD2F1A0

   Bluffton Public Library just received a letter from "a disgruntled" =
tax payer complaining we have some people using our public terminals =
"for personal gain".  It is in the OPLIN policy that "commercial =
activity; including but not limited to operating a business for personal =
gain" is prohibited on OPLIN network.
   How do you know what patrons are doing on the computer?  Should you =
know, as  long as you aren't seeing something obvious like naked people =
on the screen?
   I don't know how our letter writer knows people are using terminals =
"for personal gain".  While we have regular users, I don't ask what they =
are doing or why.  One man last summer was using a terminal about an =
hour a day when his small business terminal was in the shop.  I =
considered that a legitimate use. Another user wrote a book, which he =
has published.  According to OPLIN policy, are those legitimate uses?
   Has anyone else run into this question at their library?  Any =
suggestions for handling the issue, should the patron pursue it?

Martha Lee
Head of Circulation
Bluffton Public Library
------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C396F7.FBD2F1A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; Bluffton Public Library just received a =
letter=20
from "a disgruntled" tax payer complaining we have some people using our =
public=20
terminals "for personal gain".&nbsp; It is in the OPLIN policy that =
"commercial=20
activity; including but not limited to operating a business for personal =
gain"=20
is prohibited on OPLIN network.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; How do you know what&nbsp;patrons are =
doing on=20
the computer?&nbsp; Should you know, as&nbsp; long as you aren't seeing=20
something obvious like naked people on the screen?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know how our letter writer =
knows people=20
are using terminals "for personal gain".&nbsp; While we have regular =
users, I=20
don't ask what they are doing or why.&nbsp; One man last summer was =
using a=20
terminal about an hour a day when his small business terminal was in the =

shop.&nbsp; I considered that a legitimate use.&nbsp;Another user wrote =
a book,=20
which he has published. &nbsp;According to OPLIN policy, are those =
legitimate=20
uses?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone else run into this question =
at their=20
library?&nbsp; Any suggestions for handling the issue, should the patron =
pursue=20
it?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Martha Lee</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Head of Circulation</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bluffton Public Library</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C396F7.FBD2F1A0--