[OPLINLIST] What's new on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:16:36 -0400

What's New on NetWellness- April 1, 2004

April's Feature: Minority Health Awareness Month

April is Minority Health Awareness Month in Ohio. Medical research is
finding that treatment of some diseases differs in various ethnic groups.
Understanding what these differences are can have a direct impact on your
health. Not sure what the differences are let NetWellness help. Our experts
provide information on some of the more common diseases and are always
available for your questions.

Feature Department: Family Medicine

The University of Cincinnati Family Medicine Department celebrates its 30th
anniversary this year.  Under the direction of Jeffrey Susman, MD, the
Department sponsors a broad range of education, research, patient care and
community service programs.

Education:  Family Medicine plays a leading role in fellow, resident and
medical student teaching at the Medical Center, with a focus on training
about the care of underserved populations. The Department has developed a
special "Underserved" Residency Track and an "Underserved" Family Medicine
Fellowship.  In addition, the Department has a "Family Medicine/Psychiatry"
residency program and a nationally renowned International Health Program.

Research:  The Department's Research Division focuses on research that is
directly related to the provision of primary care, including topics such as
medical errors in primary care, headache, barriers to care for underserved
populations, domestic violence, and end-of-life care.

Patient Care:  Family physician faculty provides more than 100,000 patient
visits per year at its outpatient offices as well as in hospitals, long-term
care facilities, and a number of other sites.

Community Service:  The Department has a long-standing commitment to medical
care of underserved populations both locally and in developing countries.
The Department has extensive patient care and community development projects
in remote areas of Honduras and Brazil.

New Experts - Diabetes, Diet/Nutrition, Obesity/Weight Management, Pregnancy

NetWellness would like to welcome Jaime Ackerman, RD, LD who will serve as
an expert in Obesity/Weight Management and Diet and Nutrition. Jaime is an
Extension Associate in Food and Nutrition in the College of Human Ecology at
The Ohio State University. Jaime has also provided an informative new
article on Childhood Obesity as well.

What's for Lunch?

What do you pack for the kids (as well as yourself)? Sharron Coplin, MS, RD,
LD Extension Associate in Food and Nutrition in the College of Human Ecology
at The Ohio State University provides the answer to this question and
several others you may have on this topic in Packing Safe and Appealing
School Lunches.

Childhood Asthma Among Minority Populations

Asthma among children, particularly minority children, has been steadily
rising. In keeping with our feature on minority health Alexander N. Ortega,
PhD, Associate Professor of Health Behaviors and Health Promotions in the
School of Public Health at The Ohio State University has provided an article
titled "Childhood Asthma Among Minority Populations."

Reading Food Labels

Are you and your family trying to have a healthier diet? Have you tried to
read the labels at the grocery and ended up with more questions than
answers? Then the new and improved "Reading Food Labels" by Lisa Andrews,
MEd, RD, LD Adjunct Instructor of Nutrition Sciences in the College of
Allied Health Sciences at the University of Cincinnati is required reading.

DASH Diet

High Blood Pressure is a common problem in our society. The Dash Diet was
developed to help treat this disease.  Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD has updated
a NetWellness exclusive article on the DASH Diet.

"Bird Flu" (Avian Influenza)

Bird Flu is a topic that has been in the news several times lately. Benita
Jackson, MD, MPH, FACPM, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology in the College
of Medicine and Public Health at The Ohio State University and Teresa Y.
Morishita, DVM, MPVM, MS, PhD, Professor - Extension Veterinarian in the
College of Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State University provide the
information you need in an article titled "What is the big deal about "Bird
Flu" (Avian Influenza)?"

Pets and Human Illness

The family pet is a well loved institution in many homes and just as
diseases can be spread between humans our pets can spread diseases to us as
well. Teresa Y. Morishita, DVM, MPVM, MS, PhD, Professor - Extension
Veterinarian in the College of Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State
University has provided an article, "Pets and Human Illness - What's the
Connection?" to NetWellness. If you have questions on protecting you and
your family NetWellness has the answers you need.

Bookmark NetWellness!!

They're new and blue, NetWellness bookmarks that is. NetWellness has been
providing timely, accurate, and trusted health information for you, your
family, your patrons, and your patients for many years. Now you and your
library, school, or organization can help spread the news. Bookmarks can be
requested online free of charge at
http://www.netwellness.org/help/bookmark.cfm

Let Us Know How We're Doing

We are always trying to improve to meet your needs. What do we do well? What
can we do to better fit your needs? Please send your comments through our
"Feedback" feature and we'll get them into the right hands. Thanks again for
using NetWellness!

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty at
the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and The Ohio
State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of the first
health sites on the Internet.