[OPLINLIST] Paging Patrons, Internet signups, etc.

Gerry Vogel ads_gerry@DAYTONMETROLIBRARY.ORG
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:47:46 -0500

We have 18 public internet computers.  Not many for a main library, but they
are very busy and we sign up 50-60000 people a year on them.

Our signup is still pretty manually intensive because the software costs $,
we are migrating to another ILS shortly and our IT people have more pressing
concerns, etc., etc.

We have a log where we write down the first name of each patron, what
computer # they are on, what time they started, and what time
(approximately) they are finished.  It can give you whiplash keeping track
of this as our computers are not all in the same area.

We guarantee everyone an hour minimum, more if nobody is waiting. For the
waiting list, we have 12 restaraunt-type coaster pagers, made by J-Tech.  We
give them a pager, write down their first name and pager #, and page them in
order as computers become available, or people run out of time.

Pluses?  Less time running around chasing people who are next on the list
and calling out "Bueller?  Bueller?"  We were reminded of this recently
while they were out being serviced.  People want to know how long they have
to wait, but that's a guessing game no matter what.

Minuses:  pager systems are not cheap.  they are not indestructible.  We
just had the whole thing refurbished and we only got it 2.5 years ago.  Even
rechargable batteries will need constant replacement. Pagers light up and
vibrate, but this doesn't help if it's in someone's bag or coat pocket.  We
set them to beep loudly in cold weather knowing we will annoy people, but
otherwise they wander off.

We are looking to locate the computers to a better location to
supervise/manage, and hopefully get some software to make advance
registration possible and remove us from the line of fire when time is up.
Then we can spend more time helping people instead of being referees and
human abacuses (abacii?).  Working this desk can be very stressful during
busy times.

We had "express" terminals at one point but we gave them up because there
were too many disputes over people abusing time limits.  I know this
frustrates patrons who "just wanna check their email" and have to wait a
long time, but it was another ring of the circus.

Gerry Vogel, Assistant Manager, Adult Services Division
Dayton Metro Library
215 E. Third St., Dayton OH 45402
tel:937-227-9559, fax: 937-227-9528 cel: 937-414-0115
www.daytonmetrolibrary.org

*opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DML*