[OPLINLIST] Double remote authentication

Don Yarman OPLIN yarmando@oplin.org
Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:43:54 -0400

OPLINLIST--

I wanted to make you aware of an odd bug with remote
access to OPLIN resources.

As you might have noticed, remote users need to
authenticate to view the list of available Research
Databases at www.oplin.org/databases.  This was
intentional, as then we could present the optional
databases (SIRS Knowledge Source, Auto Repair Ref
Center) to patrons of those libraries that have paid
for them.

But when remote users choose NOT to use OneSearch
and select a database to search directly, they will
be asked to authenticate themselves AGAIN.

It is vital that we fix this, but unfortunately there
is no easy or quick solution.  It is one of our highest
priorities, however, and we hope to have seamless
database access in place by the end of summer.

    Your most humble and obedient servant,

                     Don Yarman
                     Library Services Manager
                     yarmando@oplin.org