[OPLINLIST] What's New on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Dec 9 10:49:32 EST 2005

What's New on NetWellness - December, 2005

Department of the Month - Family Medicine

The mission of the Ohio State Department of Family Medicine is to
advance family medicine as a medical specialty locally, statewide, even
nationally and internationally. The Department's goal is to improve
people's lives through innovation in patient care, education, and
research.
Patient care is rendered locally through the extensive Ohio State
Primary Care Network. Comprised primarily of family medicine sites,
other health care offerings are behavioral, geriatric, integrative, and
occupational, along with sports medicine. Multiple free clinics provide
access through a Student-Sponsored Free Clinic, a Latino Free Clinic,
and an Asian Free Clinic to assure maximum access for all to the
Department of Family Medicine averages over 250,000 patient care visits
each year!
The medical student educational programs focus on teaching future
physicians to be more patient-centered. At the residency level, every
effort is made to train future family physicians for settings where
needs are greatest, for example, rural and urban. Much of their research
recognizes basic needs of people whether through clinical trials or
through researcher-driven initiatives in such areas as cancer, diabetes,
cardiopulmonary conditions, and genetics.
Many of the faculty members are very involved in professional leadership
as another means to advance family medicine. At the national level, this
includes the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Medical
Association, the American Cancer Society, and the National Board of
Medical Examiners.
OSU Family Medicine faculty who participate with NetWellness include
Glen F. Aukerman, MD, Edna M. Jones, MD, Allison Macerollo, MD, Charles
J. Manfresca, MD, Kendra L. McCamey, MD, W. Fred Miser, MD and Cathy
McDaniels-Wilson, PhD, Adjunct Professor.

New Article on Bird Flu

Find out why you needn't worry that bird flu might eliminate turkey from
your holiday menu by reading our new article, Can a Person Catch Bird
Flu from Eating Poultry? Y. Mohamed Saif, DVM, MS, PhD, Professor &
Program Head of the Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio
Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC), College of
Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State University, puts your fears to
rest and provides some helpful hints for properly cooking poultry.

Skin Care and Diseases: New Experts

NetWellness welcomes Elma D. Baron, MD, Assistant Professor and Director
of the Skin Study Center at the School of Medicine at Case Western
Reserve University. Dr. Baron also does clinical care with the
Dermatology Department of University Hospitals of Cleveland. Working
with Dr. Baron is Janine Miller, MD, Photobiology and Photomedicine
Clinical Research Fellow. They join our other Experts on this topic who
are answering questions in the area of Skin Care and Diseases.

New Article: Gimme Shelter - How to Protect Yourself from the Sun

Just because the winter months are upon us, that doesn't mean you can
forget about sun protection. For days out on the slopes or making
snowmen in the backyard, check out these tips for full protection from
the sun's harmful rays. Written by NetWellness experts Elma D. Baron, MD
and Janine Miller, MD this information applies all year round.

Diabetes: New Expert

NetWellness welcomes Thomas Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE, Director of the
Division of Endocrinology at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland,
Ohio. Dr. Murphy is also an Associate Professor at the School of
Medicine at Case Western Reserve University. His area of interest is in
thyroid disorders. Currently, he joins NetWellness' other Experts,
answering questions in the Diabetes health topic area.

Kidney Diseases: New Experts

NetWellness welcomes Mildred Lam, MD, Associate Professor and Thomas
Zipp, MD, Assistant Professor. Both are faculty in the School of
Medicine at Case Western Reserve University and the Division of
Nephrology at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio. They join
other NetWellness Experts in this area, answering questions on Kidney
Diseases.

Dental and Oral Health: New Expert

NetWellness welcomes D. Stanley Sharples, DDS, Assistant Professor,
Section of Primary Care, College of Dentistry at The Ohio State
University. He has joined colleagues of the Dental and Oral Health Ask
an Expert Team in answering questions of a general dentistry nature.

Tuberculosis: New Experts

NetWellness welcomes two new experts to the new topic, Tuberculosis.
Shu-Hua Wang, MD, MPH&TM, Assistant Professor, Division of Infectious
Diseases and Larry S. Schlesinger, MD, Professor, Division Director,
Division of Infectious Diseases. Both are faculty in the Department of
Internal Medicine, College of Medicine and Public Health at The Ohio
State University. Dr. Schlesinger has conducted extensive research on
the organism that causes tuberculosis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and
heads the Center for Microbial Interface Biology at OSU. Dr. Wang also
serves as Medical Director of the Ben Franklin TB Control Program at the
Columbus Health Department.

Looking for "Ask an Expert"?

feature on the homepage. Click on "Ask an Expert" in the top menu and
get full instructions on how to use the Ask an Expert feature. And don't
forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs. What do we
do well? What can we do to better fit your needs? Send your comments
through our Feedback and our team will give them prompt consideration.

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes
about how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information
needs. Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?
If so, please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty
at the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and
The Ohio State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of
the first health information sites on the Internet.