[OPLINLIST] ALA awarding books!

Rebecca Felkner RFELKNER at sloma.state.oh.us
Wed Dec 21 16:37:53 EST 2005

Please forgive cross-posting.

*****

Dear Public or School Librarian:

This message is a reminder to apply TODAY to receive the newest We the
People Bookshelf on "Becoming American." If you have already submitted
your application, thank you!

This spring, ALA and NEH we will award a Bookshelf - 15 classic books
for young readers on the theme of "Becoming American," plus three of
those titles in Spanish - to 2,000 school and public libraries.  This is
four times the number of Bookshelves we've awarded in the past for a
single application deadline!  Please take advantage of this easy
opportunity to acquire free books for your library.

Guidelines and the online application are available at
http://www.ala.org/wethepeople through January 17, 2006.  Libraries
interested in receiving the collection are required to develop and host
a program to introduce the collection and its theme of "Becoming
American" to students and/or patrons.  Unlike past We the People
Bookshelves, there will be no second deadline for "Becoming American."
Applications are due by January 17, 2006, and should not take more than
45 minutes to complete.

To access a list of titles and further details, please visit
http://www.ala.org/wethepeople.  With questions, contact
publicprograms at ala.org.

Sincerely,

ALA Public Programs Office

p: 312.280.5045 -- f: 312.280.5759

http://www.ala.org/publicprograms

Support community & cultural programming @ your library(r)

http://www.ala.org/ccf

P.S. - Please share this information with other school and public
libraries in your area!

Multiple libraries within a system or school district may apply for and
receive a Bookshelf. For tips on applying on behalf of multiple
locations, visit
http://www.wethepeople.gov/bookshelf/becomingamerican-system.html.