[OPLINLIST] Videorecordings: what percentage of materials budget?

Mary Novak novakma@oplin.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:15:26 -0500

Don Yarman commented that because DVDs are less expensive than hardback
books, we need no longer treat them like gold.  At the Franklin-Springboro
Library they are still a scarce commodity relative to the demand.   DVDs and
VHS tapes are a third of the library's circulation, but the library board
wants to limit spending on videorecordings to less than 10 percent of our
materials budget.  The board members cheer when book circulation is up and
video circulation is down (I cheer with them).

I asked the board to increase the videorecording budget from $25,000 to
$30,000 per year.  They had a fit because the book budgets must remain at
last year's level.  What percentage of the materials budget are other
libraries devoting to videorecordings?  Has that percentage increased over
the past few years relative to books?

Mary Novak, Director
novakma@oplin.org
Franklin Public Library