[OPLINLIST] Videorecordings: what percentage of materials budget?

Holly Varley varleyho@oplin.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:01:51 -0500

Hi Mary and others,
42% of our circulation is AV, and we devote 34% of our materials budget =
it.  Since 2001, we have doubled the amount we spend on AV, but our =
overall
materials budget is lower, so yes, our book budget is shrinking.  I =
don't
know if our board is cheering or not, but I'd wager our patrons are. =20
-Holly

----------
Holly Varley
Collection Development Manager
Clermont County Public Library
513-732-2736 ext. 1102
varleyho@oplin.org

-----Original Message-----
From: oplinlist-admin@oplin.org [mailto:oplinlist-admin@oplin.org] On =
Behalf
Of Mary Novak
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 3:15 PM
To: oplinlist@oplin.org
Subject: [OPLINLIST] Videorecordings: what percentage of materials =
budget?

Don Yarman commented that because DVDs are less expensive than hardback
books, we need no longer treat them like gold.  At the =
Franklin-Springboro
Library they are still a scarce commodity relative to the demand.   DVDs =
and
VHS tapes are a third of the library's circulation, but the library =
board
wants to limit spending on videorecordings to less than 10 percent of =
our
materials budget.  The board members cheer when book circulation is up =
and
video circulation is down (I cheer with them).

I asked the board to increase the videorecording budget from $25,000 to
$30,000 per year.  They had a fit because the book budgets must remain =
at
last year's level.  What percentage of the materials budget are other
libraries devoting to videorecordings?  Has that percentage increased =
over
the past few years relative to books?

Mary Novak, Director
novakma@oplin.org