[OPLINLIST] What's New on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:30:46 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5832A.06DD12A7

What's New on NetWellness - July 7, 2005

July's feature: Hemochromatosis

Hemochromatosis is probably the most common disease you've never heard of.
It is a common blood disorder that is easy to treat, but low on the list of
suspected diseases when patients have vague symptoms. Characterized by iron
overload in the blood, it could be the culprit for such otherwise
unexplained symptoms as fatigue, joint pain, and infertility issues. Over
time, the toxic effects of the excess iron can lead to damaging diseases
like diabetes, congestive heart failure, and endocrine system problems.
NetWellness Experts on this topic include Eric H. Kraut, MD, Subha V. Raman,
MD, MS, FACC, and Mark Wurster, MD, all from the Ohio State University,
College of Medicine.  For more information on this topic go to the
NetWellness'  Hemochromatosis topic.
Department of the Month - Case Western Reserve Department of Urology

The Department of Urology is affiliated with the Case Western Reserve
University, School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland.
Experts from the Department of Urology answer user questions and write
original content for NetWellness health topic areas including Urinary
Disorders, Urinary Tract Cancers, Prostate Cancer, Incontinence, and
Impotence.

The Department of Urology's mission encompasses education, clinical care,
and research.  Educational activities of the residency program are directed
at instructing the trainee in the assessment and management of urologic
diseases.  Clinical care addresses primary and advanced urologic care and
provides the trainee with a broad experience preparing them for the practice
of urology.  Research activities conducted by members of the department are
ongoing in many areas and ample opportunity for resident participation
exists in clinical studies and bench laboratory research.  Residents
completing the training program in the Department of Urology at Case are
able to perform independently in a variety of settings in either private
practice or academic urology.

At the Department of Urology, all aspects of diagnostic and surgical urology
are available for both pediatric and adult patients. Special programs
include pediatric urology, urologic oncology, neurogenic bladder, spinal
cord injury, renal lithiasis and lithotripsy, infertility, impotence, female
urology and incontinence. Special diagnostic outpatient services that are
available through the department include, cystoscopy, cystometrics and
urodynamics, prostate ultrasonography and biopsy, and erectile dysfunction
evaluation.  For additional information on the Department of Urology, please
call 216-844-3011.

Current NetWellness experts from the Case Department of Urology include:
Martin Resnick, MD, Alan Seftel, MD, Stanley Althoff, PhD, and Donald
Bodner, MD.

New Expert!   Breast Feeding and Women's Health

NetWellness welcomes Barbara Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP, Assistant Professor of
Nursing at the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve
University. Dr. Morrison teaches nursing students about childbearing,
childrearing, and caregiving research training. She also runs research
programs on mother-infant relationships and health outcomes, Kangaroo Care,
breast feeding, and young developing families (supporting new parents and
their infants). Dr. Morrison has been funded to do research on skin-to-skin
care for breastfeeding difficulties post birth, interruptions to the
breastfeeding process the first postpartum day, and antenatal lactation
education for high-risk African American mothers and mother's milk feedings
after birth.  Dr. Morrison will be answering questions about Breast Feeding
and Women's Health.

New Expert!   Alzheimer's Disease

NetWellness welcomes Peter J. Whitehouse, MD, PhD as a new expert in
Alzheimer's disease.  Dr. Whitehouse specializes in neurology with an
interest in geriatrics and neuropsychology and a focus on dementia. He is an
internationally-known researcher and author on Alzheimer's disease and
dementia. Dr. Whitehouse organized a worldwide group of 300 researchers
striving to improve regulatory drug guidelines. He is editor-in-chief of
Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders: An International Journal, and
editor of Dementia, a definitive reference on geriatric psychiatry,
neuropsychology and neurology.

Brain Attack - New Article/News release.

The term "brain attack" sounds serious, and that's exactly how it should
sound. It's a term now often used for what is more commonly referred to as a
stroke. This serious medical condition occurs when the blood supply to the
brain is interrupted, and brain tissue dies. Patients experiencing brain
attack can be affected in a number of ways, including such lifelong
disabilities as paralysis, loss of speech, loss of memory - and even death.
For more information, check out the Stroke topic or go directly to "Brain
Attack/Stroke Overview", a new contribution from Joseph P. Broderick, MD,
Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurology, College of Medicine,
University of Cincinnati  and Dennis Landis, MD, Professor and Chairman,
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve
University.

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes about
how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information needs.
Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?  If so,
please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.
And don't forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs. What
do we do well? What can we do to better fit your needs?  Send your comments
through our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands. Thanks again
for using NetWellness!

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty at
the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and The Ohio
State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of the first
health information sites on the Internet.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5832A.06DD12A7

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>What's New on NetWellness</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What's New on NetWellness =
- July 7, 2005</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">July's feature: =
Hemochromatosis</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hemochromatosis is =
probably the most common disease you've never heard of.&nbsp;&nbsp; It =
is a common blood disorder that is easy to treat, but low on the list =
of suspected diseases when patients have vague symptoms. Characterized =
by iron overload in the blood, it could be the culprit for such =
otherwise unexplained symptoms as fatigue, joint pain, and infertility =
issues. Over time, the toxic effects of the excess iron can lead to =
damaging diseases like diabetes, congestive heart failure, and =
endocrine system problems.&nbsp; NetWellness Experts on this topic =
include Eric H. Kraut, MD, Subha V. Raman, MD, MS, FACC, and Mark =
Wurster, MD, all from the Ohio State University, College of =
Medicine.&nbsp; For more information on this topic go to the =
NetWellness'&nbsp; Hemochromatosis topic.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Department of the Month - =
Case Western Reserve Department of Urology</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The Department of Urology =
is affiliated with the Case Western Reserve University, School of =
Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland.&nbsp; Experts from the =
Department of Urology answer user questions and write original content =
for NetWellness health topic areas including Urinary Disorders, Urinary =
Tract Cancers, Prostate Cancer, Incontinence, and Impotence.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The Department of =
Urology's mission encompasses education, clinical care, and =
research.&nbsp; Educational activities of the residency program are =
directed at instructing the trainee in the assessment and management of =
urologic diseases.&nbsp; Clinical care addresses primary and advanced =
urologic care and provides the trainee with a broad experience =
preparing them for the practice of urology.&nbsp; Research activities =
conducted by members of the department are ongoing in many areas and =
ample opportunity for resident participation exists in clinical studies =
and bench laboratory research.&nbsp; Residents completing the training =
program in the Department of Urology at Case are able to perform =
independently in a variety of settings in either private practice or =
academic urology.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">At the Department of =
Urology, all aspects of diagnostic and surgical urology are available =
for both pediatric and adult patients. Special programs include =
pediatric urology, urologic oncology, neurogenic bladder, spinal cord =
injury, renal lithiasis and lithotripsy, infertility, impotence, female =
urology and incontinence. Special diagnostic outpatient services that =
are available through the department include, cystoscopy, cystometrics =
and urodynamics, prostate ultrasonography and biopsy, and erectile =
dysfunction evaluation.&nbsp; For additional information on the =
Department of Urology, please call 216-844-3011.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Current NetWellness =
experts from the Case Department of Urology include: Martin Resnick, =
MD, Alan Seftel, MD, Stanley Althoff, PhD, and Donald Bodner, =
MD.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">New Expert!&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Breast Feeding and Women's Health</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NetWellness welcomes =
Barbara Morrison, PhD, CNM, FNP, Assistant Professor of Nursing at the =
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve =
University. Dr. Morrison teaches nursing students about childbearing, =
childrearing, and caregiving research training. She also runs research =
programs on mother-infant relationships and health outcomes, Kangaroo =
Care, breast feeding, and young developing families (supporting new =
parents and their infants). Dr. Morrison has been funded to do research =
on skin-to-skin care for breastfeeding difficulties post birth, =
interruptions to the breastfeeding process the first postpartum day, =
and antenatal lactation education for high-risk African American =
mothers and mother's milk feedings after birth.&nbsp; Dr. Morrison will =
be answering questions about Breast Feeding and Women's Health. =
</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">New Expert!&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Alzheimer's Disease</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NetWellness welcomes =
Peter J. Whitehouse, MD, PhD as a new expert in Alzheimer's =
disease.&nbsp; Dr. Whitehouse specializes in neurology with an interest =
in geriatrics and neuropsychology and a focus on dementia. He is an =
internationally-known researcher and author on Alzheimer's disease and =
dementia. Dr. Whitehouse organized a worldwide group of 300 researchers =
striving to improve regulatory drug guidelines. He is editor-in-chief =
of Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders: An International =
Journal, and editor of Dementia, a definitive reference on geriatric =
psychiatry, neuropsychology and neurology. </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Brain Attack - New =
Article/News release.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The term &quot;brain =
attack&quot; sounds serious, and that's exactly how it should sound. =
It's a term now often used for what is more commonly referred to as a =
stroke. This serious medical condition occurs when the blood supply to =
the brain is interrupted, and brain tissue dies. Patients experiencing =
brain attack can be affected in a number of ways, including such =
lifelong disabilities as paralysis, loss of speech, loss of memory - =
and even death.&nbsp; For more information, check out the Stroke topic =
or go directly to "Brain Attack/Stroke Overview", a new contribution =
from Joseph P. Broderick, MD,&nbsp; Professor and Chairman of the =
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of =
Cincinnati&nbsp; and Dennis Landis, MD, Professor and Chairman, =
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve =
University.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">It's our Tenth =
anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">As we near our tenth year =
on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes about how NetWellness is =
helping our users meet their health information needs.&nbsp; Do you =
have any stories or experiences you would like to share?&nbsp; If so, =
please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them. </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">And don't forget, we are =
always trying to improve to meet your needs. What do we do well? What =
can we do to better fit your needs?&nbsp; Send your comments through =
our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands. Thanks again for =
using NetWellness! </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">About =
NetWellness</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NetWellness is a =
non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high quality =
information created and evaluated by health professions faculty at the =
University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and The Ohio =
State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of the =
first health information sites on the Internet.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C5832A.06DD12A7--