[OPLINLIST] What's new on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:53:48 -0400

What's New on NetWellness - June 7, 2005

June's Feature:  AIDS and HIV

AIDS continues to be a world-wide problem.  In fact, it is the fifth leading
cause of death among persons between the ages of 25 and 44 in the United
States.  About 47 million people worldwide have been infected with HIV since
the start of the epidemic. An estimated 5 million new HIV infections
occurred worldwide during 2002, which equates to about 14,000 new infections
each day.  Visit our AIDS and HIV topic to find out more about this epidemic
and, as always, if questions arise don't forget that NetWellness experts are
ready to answer them.

Department of the Month - The Center for Injury Research and Policy

The Center for Injury Research and Policy is one of ten Centers of Emphasis
within Columbus Children's Research Institute at Columbus Children's
Hospital. By integrating research, education, advocacy and innovative
clinical care, the Center's mission is to reduce death and disability caused
by injury.

While great strides in injury prevention have been made, injury remains the
leading cause of death for persons ages 1 to 44 in the United States.
Injuries account for one third of all "years of potential life lost," or
YPLL, an indicator used by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to
measure premature mortality. Injuries account for more YPLL than heart
disease, cancer and stroke combined, which are the next leading causes of
YPLL nationally.

Children are the most vulnerable to injury and suffer the greatest long-term
effects. Based on scientific principles, the Center conducts research
activities to address prevention, acute care and biomechanics related to
injury. Current projects include research on sports-related injury, injuries
to individuals with disabilities, smoke alarms to awaken children, and
pediatric impact biomechanics, as well as a collaborative effort with
several state agencies to implement a CODES (Crash Outcome Data Evaluation
System) program in Ohio through which policies for highway safety planning
can be developed.

NetWellness experts Gary A. Smith, MD, DrPH, Director, and Kelly J.
Kelleher, MD, MPH, Investigator, are faculty in the Department of Pediatrics
at The Ohio State University.   Visit the Injury Prevention and Safety
health topic on NetWellness for ways to keep your loved ones safe.

New Article!   Tips to Prevent Insect Bites, Stings from Bugging You

With warm weather, comes an increase in insect bites and stings. In fact,
according to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, about
880,910 injuries caused by insect bites and stings were treated in hospital
emergency departments across the nation in 2002. How to prevent these bites
and stings? Richard Nelson, MD. Director of Emergency Medicine, Department
of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State
University provides some useful tips in his new article - "Tips to Prevent
Insect Bites, Stings from Bugging You".

New!  MyPyramid - Bonnie Brehm's Nutribytes

The New Food Guidance System, MyPyramid, from the United States Department
of Agriculture has been in the news.  It replaces the 1992 Food Guide
Pyramid.  Bonnie J. Brehm , PhD, RD, Associate Professor in the College of
Nursing at the University of Cincinnati, describes it  in detail in "The
Food Guidance System: A personalized approach to diet and physical
activity".

New!  Diabetes Can Launch a Sneak Attack

Many people who have diabetes don't know it. In fact, experts estimate that
up to a third of people with Type 2 diabetes have no idea what their body is
dealing with.  "Diabetes Can Launch a Sneak Attack" is a new NetWellness
article by Steve Hertzler, PhD, RD, LD, Assistant Professor, Human Nutrition
in the College of Human Ecology at the OSU Extension of The Ohio State
University. Find out about the hidden symptoms and what you can do about it.

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes about
how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information needs.
Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?  If so,
please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.
And don't forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs. What
do we do well? What can we do to better fit your needs?  Send your comments
through our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands. Thanks again
for using NetWellness!

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty at
the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and The Ohio
State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of the first
health information sites on the Internet.