[OPLINLIST] Meeting room policy stipulation

Susan Banks sbanks@kenton.lib.ky.us
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:53:12 -0400

Greetings from an out-of-state interloper, Oplinlanders --

Has anyone out there come up with a specific statement in their meeting=
 room policy that covers denying (or at least controlling) "educational"=
 programs provided by local businesses (like financial planning, health=
 matters, etc.)?  Our current policy has the usual restrictions on "sale or=
 promotion of products or services," and "library purposes first" but=
 that's just not doing the job because they insist that their workshops are=
 purely educational and the date's open and...  And we all know, once you=
 let one company do financial planning workshops... Katie, bar the door. =

I'm wondering if anyone requires any group wanting to do "educational"=
 programming to submit it for consideration for presentation only under the=
 auspices of the library?  That would seem to cover that issue of "whose=
 program is it anyway?" too and let the Adult and Children's Services folks=
 make the final call. Even when you state that they musn't use the=
 library's name in their publicity, it still looks to most folks like a=
 Library program.  And it would be easy to say, "sorry, we've already=
 presented our eighteen 'planning for college' workshops this year..."

Any input would be gratefully accepted. =

Yes, Jay Burton, I looked at all the policies on the SLO website.  =

The late of Ohio, now of Kentucky
(y'all come down to visit!)
Sue

Susan Banks, MLIS