[OPLINLIST] Fall Support Staff Symposium: Oct. 5, 2006

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Aug 31 08:53:32 EDT 2006

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
Please forward this message to all interested parties.*

    Annual Fall Support Staff Symposium
    <http://www.gclc.org/viewevent?id=752>

Receptions East Conference Center
<http://www.receptionsinc.com/locations.asp?l=e>

      Date

Thursday, October 5th, 2006

      Time

9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

      Location

Receptions East

      Speaker(s)

*Keynote: Marti Peden*
Marti Peden is President of Peden and Associates, an Akron, Ohio based
firm that specializes in seminar presentations, motivational speaking
engagements and organizational development activities such as team
building, conflict resolution, group facilitation and strategic
planning. Marti has more than twenty-five years of experience as a Human
Resource Consultant serving clients in business, health care and
libraries. She has conducted many workshops for Ohio's regional library
systems such as CAMLS, NOLA, NORWELD, and SOLO, and has worked with
numerous libraries across the state, including Columbus Metro Library,
Cuyahoga County Public Library, Cleveland Heights-University Heights
Public Library, Akron Summit County Library and Stark County District
Library.

*Nancy Parsley* is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Master Career
Counselor who founded her business, Working Well, to help people create
meaningful and healthy work lives. For 15 years, she has coached clients
in improving their current work situations, those seeking a new career
direction and others in the job search process.  Her training experience
spans 20 years and she is currently the part-time Training Coordinator
for the Kenton County Public Library. She has taught stress management
in a wide variety of organizations and her most unusual assignment was
teaching IRS collections officers how to lower their stress!

      Description

*Keynote: Turning Conflict into Cooperation*
Conflict is natural within the workplace and a predictable part of
serving the public. Conflict, when handled appropriately, can resolve
differences and find positive, cooperative solutions to the problems
that we face. As a participant, you will learn practical and time-tested
techniques to improve communications and bring about resolution to
conflict situations.

Learn how to:
· Maintain your cool in difficult situations
· Learn communication skills for conflict resolution
· Utilize five effective strategies for resolving conflict

*Breakout Session: Dealing with Change*
This session will explore the emotional responses we all have to change
in our lives and how to deal with these emotions positively and
constructively. Bob Rosselot, local consultant and speaker, will guide
us through the phases of denial, resistance, exploration and commitment,
all the while showing us how to create constructive responses to change.

*Breakout Session: Relaxation at the Office*
Nancy Parsley will guide us in learning and practicing some easy yet
effective relaxation techniques for the work setting through a mind,
body, spirit approach. We will discover ways to avoid some of our
"stressors" and handle the rest in a much healthier way!

      Meal

Continental Breakfast and Lunch will be provided

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

$60

      Friend of SWON Libraries

$60

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS

$60

      Other

$120

The deadline to register is Sunday, October 1st, 2006