[OPLINLIST] Experimental MARC records

Don Yarman yarmando at oplin.org
Tue Sep 19 14:10:43 EDT 2006

I am in the early stages of creating sets of MARC records for the
electronic titles available through our statewide subscriptions.  My
idea is that, if they choose to, libraries can load these into their
catalogs, so that when a patron searches for "Consumer Reports"
and finds it in the library's catalog, she can click through to the
resource on EBSCO.

I have created two sample sets -- one with the 32 titles we have
available from NewsBank, one with the 145 titles we have available
from Oxford Reference -- and I would be interested in library feedback.

I have done very little additional editing of the records that vendors
provide.  I've changed the 856 links so that remote access is enabled,
and added a subfield $y to standardize the link text.  I also added a
506 line to designate that access is "Available from Ohio public libraries."

I think an important consideration to keep in mind is that these
"online holdings" will change.  I am thinking that libraries may want
to remove and then reload complete sets of them annually.  Different
catalog systems index and display information differently, so there's
no point in doing a lot of central editing to the file.  But I wanted to
make sure that I was doing the minimum required to make these
records useful to you, so please let me know that you think.

You can download the records from www.oplin.org/marc.

      Your most humble and obedient servant,

                                  Don Yarman
                                  yarmando at oplin.org | AIM: yarmando