[OPLINLIST] "Slam the Boards" initiative

Laura Solomon lsolomon at cpl.org
Tue Aug 28 08:18:50 EDT 2007

Our virtual reference colleagues in Oregon have begun a nation-wide
librarian initiative on September 10, 2007.  It's called "Slam the Boards,"
and it's a widespread effort to show that librarians are not only online,
but can provide quality information in that environment.

Here's some more info the Caleb Tucker-Raymond, the organizer, if you're
interested: (See the full post at
http://answerboards.wetpaint.com/page/Slam+the+Boards%21)
<http://answerboards.wetpaint.com/page/Slam+the+Boards%21>

Librarians invade the "Answer" sites

Monday, 9/10/07--All Day

Supporting Wiki:  <http://answerboards.wetpaint.com/>
http://answerboards.wetpaint.com

I'd like to invite any and all interested librarians to be a little bold and
have a little fun by going to online "Answer" sites, such as:

*	Yahoo Answers
*	Amazon's Askville
*	The WikiPedia Reference Desk

(see a list of others at
<http://answerboards.wetpaint.com/page/Registry+of+Answer+Boards?mail=1127>
http://answerboards.wetpaint.com/page/Registry+of+Answer+Boards?mail=1127)

Once there, let's answer!

I envision a day-long answer fest. Answer as many questions as you feel you
can. 5...10...20...you decide. Just try to do what we do well--provide
answers from authoritative resources.

...and then MARKET!

This means making it clear that this question was answered by a
librarian/library professional/etc. End each answer with the mention your
own library, your VR service, etc. Add the link. Mention that readers should
consider their own libraries, too. Promote it to local media. Keep in mind
how many people don't even realize that libraries offer reference services.
Let's surprise and delight them with our quality.

I'd like hundreds of librarians to do this. Thousands? Why not?