[OPLINLIST] Ohio Ready to Read Basic Training: Urbana, Ohio

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jun 27 15:43:00 EDT 2007

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
*

  Ohio Ready to Read Basic Training in Urbana
  <http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1130>

Location: Champaign County Public Library <http://www.champaign.lib.oh.us/>

      Date

Monday, August 27th, 2007

      Time

9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

      Location

Champaign County Public Library
1060 Scioto Street
Urbana, Ohio 43078
Phone: 937-653-3811

      Speaker(s)

*Sue McCleaf Nespeca* heads /Kid Lit Plus Consulting/, providing
speeches, training, and consulting to librarians, teachers and early
childhood educators on topics such as early literacy, family literacy,
children's literature and library services to youth. With over 29 years
experience in youth services library work, Sue's present on-going
consulting work includes the Northwest Regional Library System and
Northeast Ohio Regional Library System, both in Ohio. Also, she is
adjunct faculty at Kent State (Ohio) University's School of Library and
Information Sciences and at Syracuse (New York) University.

Sue has a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education from Kent State
and a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of
Pittsburgh. Presently she is one of seven national trainers for the
Every Child Ready to Read® Project. She has spoken at over 200
conferences and workshops throughout the United States.

      Description

RTRThis is one workshop in a series of Ready to Read programs offered by
the State Library of Ohio in partnership with the Ohio Library Council
and the Regional Library Systems of Ohio. To find workshops in other
areas, please visit the Ohio Ready to Read Registration website
<http://statelibrary.ohio.gov/cregister/sloh-sessions/ohio-ready-to-read/>.

/An overview of the Every Child Ready to Read early literacy initiative/

We have a challenge in Ohio. And Ohio's libraries are part of the
solution. Last year, over 1/3 of Ohio's 130,000 kindergarteners arrived
on their very first day of school not prepared to succeed as learners.
Public libraries need to reach out to these children. We need to work
with our community head start programs, our daycare programs, our
parents, our grandparents.

The Basic Ready to Read workshop offers an overview of the Every Child
Ready to Read® early literacy initiative from the Public Library
Association and the Association for Library Service to Children of the
American Library Association.

The workshop examines three levels: Early Talkers, (Newborn to Two-Years
Old) Talkers, (Two and Three Years Old) and Pre-Readers, (Four and Five
Years Old). The program integrates sharing good books, rhymes, songs and
activities with the six skills necessary for later reading success.

Participants will have hands on practice with portions of the
Pre-Readers and Talkers parent workshops. They will also learn how to
initiate new partnerships or strengthen existing ones. Participants will
leave with practical ways to develop and implement a strong role for the
library in the early childhood community.

This workshop is designed as a partnership effort between the local
public library and the local early childhood outlet (i.e., daycare
centers, Headstart, Ohio Association for the Education of Young Children
affiliate, etc.) *Library staff are encouraged to invite early childhood
partners to register and attend with them. In-Service CEU forms will be
available for all early childhood staff attending.*

Click here
<http://www.naeyc.org/membership/options.asp?state=OH#affiliate> for a
list of Ohio Association for the Education of Young Children (OAEYC)
affiliates.

Click here <http://www.occrra.org/contact_agencies.htm> for information
about local child care organizations through the Ohio Child Care
Resource and Referral Association.

      Meal

Light snacks will be served; lunch is on your own

      Audience

This workshop is open to all early childhood educators and library staff

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

Free, but registration is required

      Friend of SWON Libraries

Free, but registration is required

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS

Free, but registration is required

      Other

Free, but registration is required

The deadline to register is Friday, August 24th, 2007