[OPLINLIST] core collection/contemporary authors-contemporary literary criticism

Kristen ruzickkr at oplin.org
Thu Sep 13 15:28:25 EDT 2007

I am new in my position as reference department coordinator.
I got the renewal notice today from Thompson/Gale for  Contemp. Authors
and Contemp. Literary Criticism for 6K and some change.   I have worked
here for almost a year in the reference department and have not once
used either database (in fact, no one can even tell me which computer
these are installed on-so you know how often we use these)

But we have the Core Collection quandary.  It is considered
Core-therefore we should have it.  Anyone use anything else for literary
criticism for those english term papers? I was browsing through the
OPLIN databases, and between American National Biography, biographies
plus illustrated et al., it seems like we should have the contemporary
authors  covered.

any thoughts?  pros/cons of Contemporary Authors or Contemporary
Literary Criticism?

thanks,
Kristen
Flesh Public Library