[OPLINLIST] Credit Card Policies--Canal Fulton Draft

Marsha Wagner mwagner at canalfultonlibrary.org
Wed Apr 2 16:54:17 EDT 2008

See the state Auditor of Ohio website http://www.auditor.state.oh.us/, click on Publications, then click on Best Practices then choose Vol I Issue 2 Winter 2004 for a great discussion of what should be in that policy. I have attached a draft of the Canal Fulton Policy. You will see I skirted some of the issues with exceptions. The basic of the policy requirement seems to be that the auditors want control on who uses the credit card, when and why. We have all read in the newspapers that people in government have abused a credit card by charging personal items and often thousands of dollars were involved. Control and a tracing of the paperwork from administration authorization through payment would reduce the chance of this happening. The auditor seems to have selected this topic for the audit of 2005/2006 library records this year, as the auditor is at my library and asking for this now.

Marsha Wagner

Director
Canal Fulton Public Library
154 Market St. NE
Canal Fulton, OH 44614
Telephone (330) 854-4148; Fax (330) 854-9520