[OPLINLIST] OH Revised Code in Print

Poppy Girton girtonpo at oplin.org
Sat Apr 12 09:56:26 EDT 2008

Charlie Hansen wrote:

> Quick question to the library community:
>

> Given that the content of the Ohio Revised Code is available (at no
> cost) online, how many of you have done away with the print version on
> your shelves.  Our reference staff, instead of using the print
> version, will often use the online version because they find it easier
> to use.  I am guessing our patrons may feel the same way.  Seeing how
> much shelf space (and money) this would save makes me inclined to do
> away with it.  Are there any pitfalls that I am overlooking?
>

> Thank you in advance.
>

> Charlie Hansen, Adult Services Coordinator
>
> Perry County District Library
>
> 117 South Jackson Street
>
> New Lexington, OH 43764
>
> 740-342-4194 ext. 12
>
> chansen at pcdl.org

online version, and it's easier and more professional looking to make
computer prints than to struggle with the books on the copier.  I'm sure
there will be pitfalls-- many of our patrons are less than computer
literate, so they will need more help, and I'm always a bit skeptical
about web content.  Will it still be there tomorrow?  Will the
publishers suddenly see this as a revenue source?  But-- I decided to
take the plunge!

Poppy Girton
Head of Adult Services
Carnegie Public Library