[OPLINLIST] Contest: new tagline for Ohio Web Library search

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Mon Apr 21 09:29:50 EDT 2008

OPLIN is putting the final touches on a new search interface for the
Ohio Web Library (often known -- inaccurately -- as the "OPLIN
databases"). The search interface will reside at ohioweblibrary.org,
replacing the current content of that site. In fact, all "general
public" content currently found at the oplin.org site will move to
ohioweblibrary.org on July 1, and the oplin.org site will be revised
to contain only information of interest to Ohio public libraries.

Attached to this email is a screenshot of the Ohio Web Library search
interface. Note the tagline in red -- "Dependable online information."
This tagline is red because it's temporary; we need a much better
tagline than that, and we're starting a contest among public
librarians to find a winning tagline.

To be able to write a good tagline, you'll need some background information.
* The new Ohio Web Library interface searches the statewide databases
provided by the Libraries Connect Ohio partners (OPLIN, OhioLINK,
INFOhio, and LSTA funds from the State Library) as well as some
selected free information sources, such as OAIster.org.
* The search compares well with Google in regards to speed and
relevancy ranking, but unlike Google the information retrieved is
authoritative and dependable.
* Despite the word "library" in the title, the Ohio Web Library
interface does not search for books (at least not now -- that may be a
future enhancement), so the tagline must somehow convey that the
search is providing links to online information, not book catalogs.

Hence the current, temporary tagline -- "dependable online
information" -- which is accurate but also dull. What we need is a
good, sticky phrase that is short, memorable, and descriptive.

Please email your best efforts to me (hedgesst at oplin.org) by Friday
May 9. A blue-ribbon panel of random people we stop in the hallway
will select the best entry, and the winner will receive lots of OPLIN
swag and public accolades on the oplinlist.

OK, let's get creative!

Stephen
--
Stephen Hedges, Executive Director