[OPLINLIST] Tax forms

Mary McGavick mcgavick at knox.net
Wed Jan 16 17:47:50 EST 2008

Hi,
I've been involved with tax form distribution since forever, and I can
offer a variety of rants on the subject.

First, I have grave, but silent, doubts about business owners who are
not aware that they will need W-2 and W-3, and 1099-Misc and 1096 forms,
and I snarl (to myself) whenever somebody who needs twenty of the things
comes in.

HOWEVER.  Our friends at the IRS make these forms very easy to order,
either by writing them in on the initial order form or by calling
1-800-829-2765.  I get about one hundred of each.  Providing them takes
up only a few more feet of space, although we do keep ours behind the
desk so the people who pick up one of everything don't take them.

I have found that it is far easier to provide them than to argue about
it, and I like easy.

Mary McGavick
Reference
PL of Mount Vernon & Knox County