[OPLINLIST] Fines and Fees Query

Sheryl D. Schirmer, Director schirmsh at oplin.org
Fri Jul 25 13:00:48 EDT 2008

Dear Oplinlisters,

The Board of Trustees of the Bluffton Public Library is planning to
raise fines and fees beginning in September.  The book fines have not
been increased since 1963!  We keep low maximum fines per item to
convince patrons that it is far cheaper to return it than have to pay a
fine up to the price of item.  Then they are not tempted to keep it.

Daily DVD fines will remain at $1.00 per day, but the cap will be higher.

Of course, before they make a decision, the Board wants to know what the
rest of you are doing out there.  Any information that you can supply
will help.  If you charge for other things than I have listed, please
include those also.  Please reply to me off list, and I will compile and
publish results.

This is what the Bluffton Public Library is currently charging and
contemplating:

*Fines *

*_Item                             Per Day            Maximum
Fine                        _*

Books                           $ .05
$1.00

Audiobooks                      .05
$1.00

Music CD                         .05                 $1.00

VHS                                .50                 $5.00  (Yes, we
still have some and they are circulating)

DVD                             $1.00               $5.00

ILL                                $1.00               No Limit -- /we
want _your_ stuff back!/

/ /

*_Patron Blocked _*-- Patrons are prevented from checking out any more
materials until overdue items are returned, renewed and/or fines paid.
The idea of stopping them at a low number is to prevent them from
running up exorbitant fines.    Currently it is:

Overdue items:  3 or more

Fines:  minimum of $3.00

*_Current Fees_*

Replacement Library Card           $2.00

Processing fee for lost materials $4.00

Fax                                           $1.00 per page US & CAN

Printing and Photocopy

B & W --                        .10 per page

Color  Printer-                 .75 per page

(We only have a B&W public copier but can do a color copy for a patron
in the back.  If _we_ do it, we charge them $1.00)

Currently, we are giving away heavy duty plastic book bags on request.
Do you charge for bags?  If you have gone to the "green" grocery style
bags, do you charge for them and how much are you charging?

Thank you for your input.  Isn't it great that libraries share their
info and ideas?

Sheryl

--

*/http://blufftonlibrary.oplin.org/*