[OPLINLIST] DNS Server Update 2008-08-01 8:00PM EST

Karl Jendretzky jendreka at oplin.org
Thu Jul 31 16:42:47 EDT 2008

DNS Server Update 2008-08-01 8:00PM EST

All,
    I just received this maintenance notice from OIT, and wanted to give
you a heads up. Tomorrow evening (2008-08-01 8:00PM) OIT engineers will
be upgrading the OIT DNS servers to BIND 9 in response to the DNS
exploit brought to light earlier this month. During this process  they
will be configuring the servers to only respond to requests coming from
inside the state ip range. The OIT DNS servers, and the OPLIN DNS
servers, are one in the same, so this effects you if you are using any
of the servers listed below. Coming from inside the OPLIN range, you
won't have any issues, but for anyone using an outside connection (such
as a cable modem coming into the library, or simply using these servers
for your home network) the DNS servers will no longer respond. As far as
I know, they will only be upgrading one server tomorrow, so as long as
you have a secondary defined, nothing should break, but assuming that it
goes smoothly, the other servers won't be far behind. I've attached a
pdf copy of the message to this email.

ns1.state.oh.us 156.63.130.100
ns2.state.oh.us 156.63.130.68
ns3.state.oh.us 156.63.130.75