[OPLINLIST] Blu-ray

Michael Vollmar-Grone vollmami at oplin.org
Mon Jan 5 12:43:13 EST 2009

We started our Blu-ray collection last year, well, Dec. 31 to be exact
so not a lot of experience yet.

They clean like all other discs, using either soft pad type hand cleaner
or cloths.
However, the Blu-ray should not be resurfaced with RTI Eco Smart
specifically, and others I suspect.
The data is too near the surface RTI says but they are working on
solutions TBA this quarter.
They said Blu-ray can be buffed in that machine.

Since our collection is small and composed of mostly popular titles at
this time, we started with lending 1 disc for 2 days, the same
circulation time as our new, popular DVDs. The quantity and length of
circ will change as the collection grows and demand is ascertained.

Here's an interesting article in this morning's New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/technology/05bluray.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

--
Michael Vollmar-Grone
Director of Digital Media Services
vollmami at oplin.org

Now that Blu-Ray has beat out HD-DVD, are any libraries circulating
Blu-Ray collections?  I'm curious about Blu-Ray wear in particular.  Do
they clean well?  Can they be put through a conventional buffer machine
like standard DVDs?     I'm also curious about lending practices with
regards to how many can be taken out a time, etc.
Thanks,

Brian Stambaugh

AV/Circulation Associate
Clark County Public Library