[OPLINLIST] interested in judging a romance-novel contest?

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Mon Jan 5 14:25:31 EST 2009

Colleagues,

Please excuse the cross-posting, as time is short. The Greater Detroit
Romance Writers of America needs our help! If you would be interested in
judging a contest of published romance novels, please fill out the
information below and email it directly to Patti Shenberger
(/pattishenberger at comcast.net)/, who is coordinating this year's
Booksellers (and Librarians) Best Awards.

You will receive a package of books which are yours to keep. All you
have to do is read each one and then on a form which they provide, rate
it on a 1 - 10 scale, 10 being an outstanding example of its kind - the
official wording is, "Is this a good story, and is it well told?"

You don't have to rank them, or anything. You don't have to be an expert
in the genre, just willing to read romance and say if you enjoyed it.
You don't have to work in Readers Advisory as long as you can claim some
affiliation with a bookstore or library. And the books are mailed to you
in March but the scorecard (which you can email at the last minute; I
always seem to!) isn't due back to them until May 1, so you do have time
to fit them in around the rest of your obligations.

I've participated in this contest for many years now and I find it a
great introduction to authors new-to-me. Sometimes I choose to stick
with a genre I know and love, while at other times I opt to explore new
genres.

I encourage you to sign up; it's an excellent opportunity to let authors
and publishers know what librarians are thinking. I generally have them
sent to the library and put the books in our collection when I've
finished, but you can also keep them, give them away, whatever. Many of
them come with the author's autograph.

Hoping some of you will join me in this worthwhile effort, and very
willing to answer any questions you may have ~
Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library
Wellington OH 44090
tel. 440-647-2120

*Booksellers’** **Best Award***

  A Published Authors’ Contest for Books Published in 2008

/Sponsored by Greater Detroit Romance Writers of America/

/(Note: Judging packets of 2008 books will be mailed early March 2009)/

/ /

    Judge’s Entry Form

/(Copy this form as needed. One form per judge, please!)/

Judge Name:

I’m: (please circle one) an employee an owner a manager a librarian

Send my books to the following STORE/LIBRARY:

Street, Ste., etc.:

City:

State:

Zip:

Work Phone:

Home Phone:

Email:

*Categories of books to be judged:*

*(Please CROSS OFF any that you would rather NOT judge)*

1. Traditional / Sweet Romance 6. Erotic Romance

2. Short Contemporary (under 65,000 words) 7. Short Historical (up to
95,000 words)

3. Long Contemporary (over 65,000 words) 8. Long Historical (95,000 or more)

4. Single Title / Mainstream 9. Paranormal / Time Travel / Futuristic

5. Romantic Suspense 10. Inspirational (contemp. or historical)

*Please note we do not keep judging forms year to year due to judges
moving to different locations. If you wish to judge, please send in a
new form each year. ***

*Thank you so much for your participation in the Booksellers’ Best Award!*

*AS SOON AS POSSIBLE *please mail or email this form to:

Patti Shenberger

6019 Mary Sue

Clarkston, MI 48346-3262 or

/ e-mail Patti Shenberger at: //pattishenberger at comcast.net/