[OPLINLIST] Tech. Classes @ the Library

Beth Hatch bhatch at twinsburglibrary.org
Tue Jan 6 16:29:34 EST 2009

*From Twinsburg Public Library  *

> ·         Who teaches the courses at your library?

                       *     Adult Public Service Librarians and
Technology staff*

> ·         Without a dedicated computer lab, where are the classes held?

                             * We do have a lab containing 12 computers,
but when I worked at a small library in Kingsville, Ohio, we only had
six computers in the middle of reference and so we used those for one
hour sessions a few times a week for classes. *

> ·         What types/levels of classes are offered?

                              * We are fortunate to have a large staff
with a wide knowledge base, so each professional staff member teaches
one to three courses (depending on their shedule, class demand, and
knowledge). We offer:

Introduction to Windows XP,
Introduction to Vista
Introduction to Word 2003,
Intermediate Word 2003,
Introduction to the Internet.
Googling on the Internet
Advanced Internet
Internet Safety
Create Your Own Web Page
Introduction to PowerPoint 2003
Introduction to Excel 2003, Intermediate Excel 2003, Advanced Excel 2003
Introduction to Publisher 2003
Introduction to Research Databases
Travel on the Internet
Buying or Selling a House on the Internet
Mail Merge with MS Word
How to Buy and Sell Items on Ebay
Introduction to Digital Photography
Creating Resumes in Word
Introduction to Access 2003
Introduction to Blogs
Introduction to GIMP*

> ·         Where do you turn for "curriculum" ideas or "lesson plans"?

*Our staff create their own lesson plans based on their own personal
knowledge, although I am sure that some of them have gotten help from
Microsoft tutorials and online sources too*.

> ·         What happens to your students once the classes are
> completed?  In other words, do you ever see these students put to use
> the skills obtained in the classes?

*Our students frequently return to take the classes multiple times or
take other classes. Basically, I think our students fall into two
categories: those who really need to know how to use a program or
software and those that simply take classes for something to do. But,
there is no follow-up unless the students come in to take another class
and tell us that they have applied their knowledge. *

> ·         Do you develop groups that can meet outside the library to
> discuss/practice the lessons learned in the classes?

*No, but that is an interesting suggestion. *

> I am interested in these questions and general impressions concerning
> the effectiveness of classes.
>

> Thank you in advance.
>

> Charlie Hansen, Adult Services Coordinator
>
> Perry County District Library
>
> 117 South Jackson Street
>
> New Lexington, OH 43764
>
> 740-342-4194 ext. 12
>
> chansen at pcdl.org

Beth Hatch
Public Relations and Marketing
Twinsburg Public Library
330-425-4268

Twinsburg Public Library
Entertainment ~ Education ~ Excellence

--
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the