[OPLINLIST] Wii Games Circulation

Michael Vollmar-Grone vollmami at oplin.org
Thu Jan 15 11:24:29 EST 2009

We restarted our Consule Video Games Collection last July with 22-PS2&3, 11-Wii, and 11-XBox360. (Our last foray was 8 bit Nintendos until the mid-1990s). The ratio of 50, 25, 25 percent seems to work well here so have continued to add in those proportions.

The games tend to circulate at maximum usage, which is more than any other material in our system.  In fact, all the XBox and Wii games are currently checked out. One caveat, RTI warned us not to resurface the  PS3 Games as they are Blu-ray discs.

Then the next month, August 2008, we added 24 PC Games.  Those circulate at about 50 maximum.

So while popular, consule games gives us more bang for the buck.  The additional proplem with PC games is that some will load only so many times (around four generally), so once that is exceeded it no longer work for anyone else. Any additional titles will be checked for that  limitation before purchase. We've had more complaints of "Doesn't Work" with the PC platform also.

We currently have 114 games of which 15 are overdue: 7-PS2&3, 6-XBox, and 2-Wii.

I'm looking at adding portable systems as we regularly receive requests for PSP and DS but with a diminishing budget the prospect is not promising.

Good luck!

Michael Vollmar-Grone
Director of Digital Media Services
Shelby County Libraries