[OPLINLIST] Attention ILL Types!

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Thu Jul 16 10:45:58 EDT 2009

We have been using OCLC Resource Sharing for two years and like it a
lot.  As an independent library, what we have in our building is what
we have and this helps extend our collection.

We are part of LVIS (Libraries Very Interested In Sharing) and so are
many of you, which is nice because our reciprocal arrangement means no
fees are charged.

We are on US Cargo and so are many of you.  We need US Cargo for the
same reason we are not part of a consortium -- we get books from
nearby libraries dropped off here every day and its easier to send
them back this way than doing it ourselves.

Problem -- we can't afford to keep our obligations to LVIS anymore.
We are getting killed by the postage sending stuff out of state AND
returning stuff.  It's hard to justify to our public why we send stuff
out of state for this purpose, but won't bring stuff in for them.

In looking at our traffic for the past 18 months, 82% of our requests
were satisfied in state.

Therefore -- I have an idea many of you might be interested in, too.

We create an OCLC union list group of:

1. Ohio libraries
2. who will not charge fees to loan or copy (within some reasonable
limit) to each other
3. are on US Cargo

If you want to loan AV (or not), make that your decision and make it
clear in your policy.

If you want to remain in LVIS, you can!  Just consider being part of
this group, too.

It won't cost you anything extra, it will only benefit your patrons
and simplify your staff workflow.

Please email me directly if you want in.

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of ALPL*

Blog with us at avonlake.wordpress.com