[OPLINLIST] A Representative's Response to our Pleas

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:09:48 EDT 2009

The following is a letter written back to one of our trustees by
Representative Wachtmann (75th House District):

Dear Michelle:

Thank you for your email regarding your opposition to Governor Strickland’s
last minute budget proposal to cut funding for our public libraries by 50%.
I always enjoy hearing from the district and I truly appreciate the time you
have taken to express your concerns.

I share your views and agree with you wholeheartedly in regards to this
situation.  Similar to his other crackpot ideas at balancing the state
budget, Governor Strickland’s proposal is completely irresponsible on every
level, and has given the libraries and communities virtually no time to
respond or prepare for such drastic cuts to their funding.

I will continue working to ensure our libraries are sufficiently funded, as
they are vital to the education and livelihood of our communities.  Public
libraries are more important now than ever, especially due to their
provision of computers and internet access for those seeking employment
opportunities or taking online classes to further their education.  If
Governor Strickland was at all concerned about the people of Ohio or
reviving our economy, as he so passionately claims, he would have recognized
the need for the employment resources our libraries provide, and proposed
protection of their funding instead of ravaging it.

Instead of singling out a few state agencies by proposing devastating cuts
to their funding, I would like to propose a 5-7% funding cut for everyone
across the board.  If we cut across the board by the same percentage, the
budget of approximately $54 billion would be reduced by the $3.2 billion
which is our deficit.

I have not given up hope for change on this issue and will continue to
oppose every ridiculous, last-ditch effort of the Strickland administration
to pull the wool over Ohioans’ eyes while they tip the budget balances in
their own favor.  As a representative of the people, I will fight to present
a budget to our citizens that is fiscally responsible and includes proper
funding for one of the most important educational resources to adults and
children alike—our public libraries.

Again, thank you for your email and please do not hesitate to contact me if
I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Lynn R. Wachtmann
State Representative