[OPLINLIST] Ohio Memory - Next Generation website launches

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Mar 6 14:58:53 EST 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

The State Library of Ohio and Ohio Historical Society are pleased to
announce the March 2nd launch of the Ohio Memory - Next Generation
website (www.ohiomemory.org <http://www.ohiomemory.org/> ). The website,
a redesign of the Ohio Memory project, features 75,000 historical images
and information from 330 archives, historical societies, libraries and
museums.  The new site has been improved to make it easier to find and
contribute images, information, and documents. Users can search and
browse all collections or an individual collection by subject, place or
contributor.

"People are used to one-stop shopping and retrieval of information.  The
new website allows users to find documents, portraits, and photographs
on any given subject quickly and easily," said State Librarian Jo
Budler.  "It is wonderful that our partnership with the Ohio Historical
Society allowed us to move our collections to a new and improved
platform."

The Ohio Memory - Next Generation site is a collaborative project of the
State Library of Ohio and Ohio Historical Society. In addition to all of
the resources on the original website, the State Library has contributed
part of its Ohio documents digital collection that includes a vast
selection of publications produced on the web by state agencies.  The
publications include many annual reports, health and population
statistics, natural resources guides and pamphlets including: Trails for
Ohioans a plan for the future
<http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p267401ccp2
&CISOPTR=1621&REC=7> , 20 Questions to ask a lender or mortgage broker
<http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p267401ccp2
&CISOPTR=822&REC=1> , and 2006 population estimates for cities, villages
& townships
<http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p267401ccp2
&CISOPTR=2367&REC=2> .

"We are beginning to scan print materials from our rare Ohio state
government collection.  The staff is scanning annual reports from the
1800s to early 1900s.  Current titles include:  Annual Report of the
Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors Orphans' Home; Ohio Institution for the
Education of the Deaf and Dumb; and Annual Reports of Longview
Hospital," said Jim Buchman, head of Patron & Catalog Services at the
State Library of Ohio. "These publications include rosters of
individuals and will be of interest to the genealogy community." For
example, a recently scanned document is the Known military dead during
the Spanish American War and the Philippines Insurrection, 1898-1901
<http://cdm267401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p267401ccp2
&CISOPTR=3306&REC=3> .

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director