[OPLINLIST] Beverly Cain Appointed as the New State Librarian of Ohio

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at library.ohio.gov
Thu Apr 8 16:01:15 EDT 2010

Please excuse multiple postings...

The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce that the State Library
Board has appointed Beverly Cain to be the new State Librarian of Ohio
beginning June 1, 2010. Cain has 23 years of library experience in Ohio
and has been the Director of the Portsmouth Public Library System since
1997. "I'm certainly pleased by the Board's appointment of Beverly Cain
as the State Librarian of Ohio," said Board President Lynn Grimshaw.  "I
know that she did a great job in Scioto County and I have every reason
to believe that she will do a similar job at the State Library."

Beverly will return to the Columbus area where she was the Branch
Manager at the Upper Arlington Public Library Lane Road Branch from 1992
to 1997. Prior to that, she worked at the Medina County District Library
from 1988 to 1992, first as a Reference Librarian and then as a Manager
of Reference and Adult Services.

"I'm looking forward to getting to know the State Library staff; some I
already know from the library community. I want to get to know the
others and learn what they do," said Cain. "I'm looking forward to
working with the staff and board to continue to build and expand library
services to all types of libraries and to Ohio residents regardless of
their geographic location."

Beverly earned a Master of Public Administration degree in 2009 and a
Master of Library Science degree in 1986 from Kent State University. She
also has a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Akron. Cain
is the current President of the Ohio Library Council, a member of the
Board of Directors of the Scioto County Law Library Resources Board, and
has served as a member or chair person to numerous local, state, and
national committees.

With all of her library experience in Public Libraries, Cain said, "I
have a lot to learn about what Academic, School, Special, and State
agency libraries provide, what their needs are, and what the State
Library can do to assist them."

The State Library Board was impressed with Cain's leadership experience
and ability to develop and maintain excellent relations with staff and
community, project management, budget administration, and program
development and implementation. Board President Lynn Grimshaw said,
"Since I already knew of Beverly's work, I talked very little during her
interviews. I let them interact with her and judge her for themselves as
to her outstanding qualifications."

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue