[OPLINLIST] Survey - Circulation Policies - RESULTS

Amy Deuble adeuble at marion.lib.oh.us
Thu Aug 19 14:37:04 EDT 2010

Thank you to the 24 libraries who responded to my survey.  The compiled
results are attached to this message.  Responsibility for accuracy (or
inaccuracy) in reporting is strictly my own. ;-)

Some interesting facts:

The majority of the responding libraries consider anyone under 18 a
minor and require a parent's or legal guardian's ID and proof of
address.  Five of the responding libraries remove this requirement at
ages 13-16.

Most libraries don't press the issue of custody/guardianship, accepting
the adult who comes through the door as the responsible party.  Most
libraries allow only one card per minor regardless of who the
responsible adult is although one did permit 2 cards in the case of
divorce.  Two of the libraries did require proof of custody/guardianship
if not the minor's parent.

The number of libraries barring minors from adult movies is small (5 say
no adult movies period) although most that do allow adult movies request
parental permission first or restrict access based on movie ratings.
Only three libraries didn't restrict access or ask parental permission
first.

What does Marion do?  We require anyone under 18 to have a parent or
legal guardian come in to the library and provide ID and proof of
address.  If the adult is not the parent they must have custody of the
minor and may be asked to prove it.  No one under 18 is allowed to check
out movies from our adult collection.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.  The information provided was
very informative and will be very helpful as we take another look at our
existing policies.

Amy Deuble
Head of Circulation and Technical Services
Marion Public Library
Marion, Ohio 43302
adeuble at marion.lib.oh.us