[OPLINLIST] Indiana Evergreens growing fast & a virtual demo system you can install

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Mon Sep 20 11:31:56 EDT 2010

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901

A small portion of information on the Indiana Evergreen project, found with Google.
Short story for Indiana: "Veni, vidi, vici".

Early spring 2007 a simple brainstorming session between the Indiana State
Library and partner Hussey - Mayfield Memorial Public Library quickly developed
into potentially one the largest open-source integrated library system (ILS)
consortiums in the country.
Older Ref: Permalink: http://www.librarytechnology.org/ltg-displaytext.pl?RC=13535

The potential savings for the taxpayer and the convenience for the library user
is what attracted the staff at the Indiana State Library to pursue this as a
viable initiative for Indiana public libraries.

Evergreen Indiana is expected to collectively save Indiana’s 238 public
libraries about $15 million per year after most of the public libraries in this
state are involved

Instead of building a demo system, Indiana used Georgia's.
The initial 20 pilot libraries were fully involved from the beginning and were
among the first to go live.

Early Spring 2007 Indiana State Library started brainstorming about open source ILS

August 25, 2008 first library in the Evergreen Indiana Consortium to go live
with Evergreen.

August 27, 2010 72 libraries now on Evergreen Indiana

Located elsewhere.
Additionally, the majority of Evergreen installation and system maintenance
costs are funded by the Indiana State Library through federal Library Services
and Technology Act (LSTA) funds.
This keeps member contributions minimal and saves Indiana libraries hundreds of
thousands of dollars.

***
I must have misplaced Ohio's Cost / Benefit Analysis.
Would someone please send me another copy, or a link where it is located?
Thank you.

*** A virtual Evergreen to download, install and run***

Began this in my spare time last Tuesday Sept 14 and finished to a point this
morning Sept 20.
Used Google to find various information to help clarify things.

It seems to be working. No data migration obviously.
No trees were directly harmed, no money spent, took really just a few hours.

I pretty much followed the procedure below. And as the English say - Bob's your
uncle.

Evergreen 1.6.0.1 installed on Debian 5.0 (Lenny) as a virtual machine you can
install
Ref
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community_servers#community_demo_servers

There are three stable series of Evergreen
Latest current stable
1.4 release 1.4.0.7 (10-22-2009).
1.6.0 release 1.6.0.8 (2010-09-01).
1.6.1 release 1.6.1.2 (2010-09-01).
SEO web page indicates version 1.6.0.0 installed, this demo is 1.6.0.1

The bottom of the above referenced page refers to Virtual Server Image
"Evergreen 1.6.0.1, Debian 5.0 (Lenny)"
It's a zip file containing 2 files Evergreen1601_DebianLenny.ovf &
Evergreen1601_DebianLenny.vmdk

We use VMware's ESXi (free) to host our virtual servers so I went this route.
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/index.html

Downloaded and extracted the zip file to less than 414mb
("DigestIt 2004" verified the hash)

Made a few simple edits to the ovf file to make compatible with VMware.
Reference:
http://www.ctrip.ufl.edu/howto-convert-virtualbox-to-vmware
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=2997#comments

Created a VMware account, downloaded and installed VMware OVF Tool (free)
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/getting-started/learn/ovf.html
Executed a command in a dos window which created two files
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool>ovftool --lax
c:/temp/Evergreen1601_DebianLenny.ovf c:/temp/Evergreen1601_DebianLenny.vmx
Evergreen1601_DebianLenny.vmx about 2kb
Evergreen1601_DebianLenny-disk1.vmdk about 1.3gb

Moved the 2 files into ESXi using VMware vSphere Client (part of ESXi)
Removed/Added the NIC assignment in ESXI as it was garbled.
Booted the virtual machine, logged in as root (through ESXi Console Tab),
command line only, no GUI.

Followed parts of the Starting Evergreen portion at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server:1.6.1:install
Then downloaded and installed the client on another PC from the Community Demo
Servers page
Used host name of 10.x.x.x (from our local network)
Logged in as admin / open-ils and registered the work station
Logged in again and got to the Staff Client Portal page

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library