[OPLINLIST] Smart phone Library Card application

Joe Knueven knuevejo at oplin.org
Mon Aug 22 12:28:44 EDT 2011

Could the concern of person A using somebody else library card be
addressed simply by having library cards that are not in sequential order?

I mean, in theory, if a library accepts the card number alone as proof
they have permission to use that account, then the person could use my
card only if they know or can guess my card number.  To be honest, there
are very few people I show my library card number to, and doubt any of
them could remember it long enough to enter it into their smart phone,
let alone have the desire to do so.

Even without issuing library cards with numbers that are out of order,
could the library staff person simply confirm that they are who they say
they are?  I will admit this could require retraining staff in some
instances, but isn't that a normal part of technological change?

There are a wide variety of things in society that are number dependent
(social security numbers, credit card numbers, driver's license numbers)
and yet we are very rarely challenged to show some manner of photo id,
especially in the manner that seems to me to be the most similar, making
a credit card purchase.

Even that comparison doesn't hold very well, because while there is, as
near as I can tell, only a few databases for the identity thief to check
against when guessing credit card numbers, (if even that many) there are
well over 100 different library patron databases in Ohio alone, each one
potentially using a different series of numbers.

Perhaps I'm just not getting it, but I don't see where there is such a
great security issue.
If you were to use my library card with your smart phone, how are you
going to get my number in the first place?

I look forward to seeing the rest of the discussion.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director
Germantown Public Library