[OPLINLIST] Smart phone Library Card application

Nick Tepe NTEPE at columbuslibrary.org
Mon Aug 22 12:21:42 EDT 2011

Columbus Metropolitan has for as long as I'm aware accepted just the library card number for customers to check out materials. In fact, many of our customers memorize their library card numbers and store the physical card in a secure place in order to be sure that no one else can access the account. Not being able to use just the number to check out would be a major inconvenience for many of our customers, especially those who have multiple family members' cards to keep track of, and would likely create more work for staff as we would have to check IDs and/or look up accounts for customers who would otherwise just be able to enter their card numbers.

Requiring customers to present the physical card in order to check out is essentially the library attempting to control access to the card, which regardless of whether or not the restriction is in place is ultimately the customer's responsibility. That being the case, it's better customer service to allow the customer to manage access to their account as they see fit. As long as we put reasonable security measures in place (such as PINs and a process for blocking lost cards) there shouldn’t be any difference between using the physical card or just using the number. Credit cards allow you to use the card number to make purchases online or over the phone (usually with a PIN or security code, just as we do), and require you to monitor activity on your account and immediately report a lost or stolen card. I can't see any reason why a library card should be any different.

C. Nicholas Tepe
Circulation Division Manager
Columbus Metropolitan Library
96 South Grant Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 849-1203     fax (614) 849-1303
ntepe at columbuslibrary.org<mailto:ntepe at columbuslibrary.org>
Columbus Metropolitan Library<http://www.columbuslibrary.org/>   [cid:image001.png at 01CC60C5.ADC64DE0] <http://twitter.com/columbuslibrary>    [cid:image002.png at 01CC60C5.ADC64DE0] <http://www.facebook.com/columbuslibrary>    [cid:image003.gif at 01CC60C5.ADC64DE0] <http://www.youtube.com/user/columbuslibrary>