[OPLINLIST] Smart phone Library Card application

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Thu Aug 25 14:20:17 EDT 2011

We have had a few patrons with these apps, but they do not work with all our
bar code reader/scanners as they are set up here.

In fact, they work better with the older ones.

As far as physical cards/card numbers, we do not mandate these EXCEPT at the
self-check machines.  No PIN there, however -- they do not need one to check
out anyway.  Far too much personal information could be obtained, or
materials fraudulently checked out, however it is likely this activity would
draw staff attention.

Besides, if someone at a self-check machine has to ask staff "what's my
PIN?", let alone "can you look up my card number?"  what's the point, since
staff will have to complete the transaction?

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of
ALPL*

**