[OPLINLIST] eReader program

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Fri Dec 9 10:24:13 EST 2011

Nancy,

I've done several workshops, cheat sheets, and assisted with pamphlets and
tri-folds.  The problem I've had with documentation is that the technology
has been changing so fast it seems no faster than you print something you
must revise it. ("No, you can't return them early!  I mean yes, you can
return them early!") It's also hard to test and confirm your own findings
since it's impossible to have every eReader available.  I stress to patrons
and staffers alike that for now, the "My Help Beta" link on the digital
catalog is the best resource for current information.

I will attach what we've put together here at Way, but please understand
that some of it may not be up to date.

I've tried doing a structured workshop but the problem is that there isn't
enough time to cover all the different devices and intricacies.   The
process of using a Kindle vs a Nook vs an iPad is so drastically different
they could all have their own class.  Instead I focus on how our catalog
works and how to get an item reserved and finally checked out.  We cover the
transfers of files in generalities (and FAQs) after that.  I pay special
attention to the "My Help" section of our digital catalog, as well.  It's
wonderful. Lastly, Way is a medium sized library so I can give people
personal attention to help them with their device if needed.

I hope this helps.  I take a "to the best of my knowledge" approach to this
stuff because it's impossible to keep up with it all, much less know it all.

Attached:
eBook Cheat Sheet.docx - meant for librarians to quickly answer common
questions.
eBooks and Digital Readers.docx - used in a workshop a month or so ago.
Ebooks and Audio.pub - a kiosk tri-fold used to market our digital services
(thanks Lisa!)

Travis McAfee
Systems Administrator
Way Public Library