[OPLINLIST] Amish workers?

Laura Thorne thornela at oplin.org
Fri Jun 10 08:30:08 EDT 2011

We are looking to replace our library's roof and have received a quote/bid
from an Amish roofer.  My question is:  are the Amish required to produce
worker's compensation certificates, and are they subject to prevailing wage
laws?  I have requested information from our prosecuting attorney but don't
think he will get back to me any time soon with an answer.  The reason I am
asking is that I know they do not accept anything from worker's
compensation, so I didn't know if they are exempt from it.  I was hoping
some of our libraries in Amish country would have more experience dealing
with these questions.
Thanks in advance.

Laura Thorne
Director