[OPLINLIST] Keeping Patron Registrations

malonegl@oplin.org malonegl at oplin.org
Thu May 12 12:41:36 EDT 2011

Someone asked for the responses I received concerning keeping patron
registration cards; however, I must have deleted the request. Hopefully
this will get to the correct person.  Below are the responses I received
about keeping patron registration cards.

Thanks,
Gloria

We toss them as soon as we enter all of the patron info into the ILS.  We
enter the parent's name in a note field for juvenile cards.  We do not
collect SS numbers.

As a standard business practice, having a record in our ILS means that at
one time the patron read our rules and signed a form to abide by those
rules (& any future changes, additions to the rules too).  We don't have
to keep the form to be able to hold them to the rules. (This concept of a
"standard business practice" is one that our County Prosecutor told us
about years ago.)

So, in my personal opinion, save your time and just shred them.

Michael L. Penrod [penrodmi at oplin.org]

We shred adult applications after entering the info in the computer. We do
not use SS#s - we use a driver's license # instead. That is included in
the system as an alternate ID.

We do keep juvenile registrations because parents can choose to restrict
them from borrowing movies. If the parent wants to change the permissions
as the child gets older, we update the registration form.

Amy L. Switzer, Deputy Director
Shaker Heights Public Library
Email: aswitzer at shakerlibrary.org
Website: www.shakerlibrary.org

We no longer keep patron registration forms.  On our library cards at the
signature line it says that the patron agrees to all library rules.  We
have a company which brings us secure bins that are removed and shredded
onsite.  I would recommend that you have some secure method of disposal
for them.

Marsha Wagner
Director
Canal Fulton Public Library
154 Market St. NE
Canal Fulton, OH 44708
330 854-4148; fax 330 8549520

Nancy McAlpin at St Paris – they keep their registration cards on file and
update the information every year.