[OPLINLIST] libraries with vans

Alan Hall alanh at oplin.org
Wed Aug 15 13:27:37 EDT 2012

Our library system purchased a new Bookmobile that is on a Sprinter chassis.
There are 6 single facing carts that latch onto the walls inside, and
another 9 single facing carts that can be latched to floor strips for
transport, with a motorized lift in the rear to move the carts, or people
into the vehicle.

We are able to do traditional Bookmobile service at a dozen community stops,
and visit Nursing Homes/Senior Housing/Preschool Centers and leave a cart,
and pick-up the one we left.  I think we purchased 20 carts total.

In 2009, we ended Bookmobile service to schools, and received no comments or
reaction.  That now allows us to concentrate on the dozen community stops
and facilities listed.  We do the service on Thursdays and Fridays.

The vehicle was manufactured by Farber Specialty Vehicles in Columbus for
about $ 100,000.  It was funded by our 2010 1 mill levy for library services
in the county.

Alan Hall
Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County