[OPLINLIST] Reading to Dogs Answers

Karalea Lane gawref2 at oplin.org
Tue Dec 18 13:25:49 EST 2012

Hello,

May people responded with all sorts of suggestions, and a few wanted me
to share the info I collected.

Every library said it was a positive experience. This is a low-cost
program, and kids see it is unique. A few libraries were able to have
multiple dogs, allowing for more readers and different sized dogs (big
might be intimidating).

To combat the concern of allergies from left-over dog dander, ask the
dog's handler if it can be on a blanket. Most people coming won't be
allergic, but one of my co-workers sneezes at the sight of a dog. A
blanket will help.

Insurance is an issue, but therapy dogs will have insurance papers for
the library to keep on file. Some handlers will need you to fill out a
form so they can show the dog is being helpful. Some libraries mentioned
librality release forms givien to participants. Libraries that used
separate rooms also had a member of the library  staff in the room with
the dog dog and handler. Our children area is an open area and we will
just use certain table for the reading sessions.

Pick out books and have them out for the kids to see. Deciding what to
read may be so intimidating that a young reader will give up. Some
libraries pretended that the dog liked certain books or subjects to help
the child feel more confident about their book choice.

Here is a website all about dogs in libraries:
http://www.librarydogs.com/index.html

I wrote a paper about literacy in libraries, and that is where I found
out about the Reading to Dogs programs. The citation for the source is
here: Kelly, M., Lee, M., Schwartz, M., & Warburton, B. (2012). Therapy
Dogs Help Library Patrons to Learn. /Library Journal, 137/(4), 1

I think those were the biggest points. Any other questions about that
was shared with me please e-mail.

Karalea Lane
Garnet A Wilson Public Library of Pike County
740/947-4921