[OPLINLIST] Addendum to Digital Magazine and Newspaper Subscription Service information request

Sara Churchill SCHURCHILL at libraryvisit.org
Mon Oct 22 15:41:24 EDT 2012

Hello, Everyone,

While waiting for responses to my original question, I researched for what companies other than Zinio provide digital magazines and newspapers.  What I found was PressDisplay for Libraries [http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx] and PressReader for Individuals [http://www.pressreader.com/], both provided from NewspaperDirect Inc. [http://www.newspaperdirect.com/libraries.aspx].

Does anyone out there in Library Land use this company's product in their library?

One difference it has over Zinio is that it includes newspapers and magazines, not just magazines only.

Also, here are the compiled responses from my original request:

Michael Vollmar-Grone [vollmami at oplin.org]

Mon 10/15/2012 1:26 PM

Sara Churchill

re: Digital Magazine and Newspaper Subscription

Hi Sara,
We recently added Zinio through Debbie MacDonald at Recorded Books.
Set up, etc fees depend upon your yearly circulation. Ours are a few thousand dollars.
The subscription costs for each magazine are reasonably priced, too, $10-20 for most.
Staff loves the service, word is just getting out to the community and we are ready for the onslaught, much as ebooks hit us.
Service is relatively easy to use, just need to remember to go to the library's zinio web address, not zinio.com, and sign in twice.
We also require a library card to be entered.
Once the account is set up and magazines chosen, you can use tablets and other digital devices to access, except Nooks.
Can read the magazine on line or download.
I've been using for about 6 weeks and am ecstatic as are the other librarians here.
Service can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection.
Unfortunately newspaper are not offered.
Best wishes,
Mike

--

Michael Vollmar-Grone

Director of Technical Services

Shelby County Libraries

230 East North Street

Sidney, OH 45365

(937) 492-6851 x.119

http://shelbyco.lib.oh.us/ <http://mail.libraryvisit.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://shelbyco.lib.oh.us/>

http://www.facebook.com/ShelbyCountyLibraries <http://mail.libraryvisit.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.facebook.com/ShelbyCountyLibraries>

vollmami at oplin.org <mailto:vollmami at oplin.org>

Valerie Smith [vsmith at lpls.info]

Mon 10/15/2012 3:04 PM

Sara Churchill

Zinio at Akron Summit County PL

Check with Akron - they started offering Zinio some weeks ago.

Valerie Smith, Public Services Coordinator

Lorain Public Library System

351 Sixth Street, Lorain OH  44052

440-244-1192, ext. 254

vsmith at lpls.info

www.lorainpubliclibrary.org

Labriola, Mary Frances [mlabriol at akronlibrary.org]

Mon 10/15/2012 3:53 PM

Sara Churchill

Digital magazines

Hi Sara

We are using Zinio and it has been up since late August. We currently have 78 titles (I attached a list with prices) and so far it is going pretty well. There have been some glitches since we were one of the first libraries to start but overall it's been great. 568 patrons have signed up so far and they have checked out 5000 magazines. I attached a copy of our circ statistics so far.

Like Overdrive you pay a platform fee.  Recorded books bases it on circulation numbers I think.  The cost of the magazines at least for now is really reasonable and comparable to what you'd pay for a print subscription.

Francie Labriola

Continuing Resources Supervisor

Akron Summit County Public Library

mlabriol at akronlibrary.org

Carol Cobbs [cobbsca at oplin.org]

Tue 10/16/2012 10:01 AM

Sara Churchill

RE: [OPLINLIST] Digital Magazine and Newspaper Subscription Serviceinformation request

The Columbiana Library chose Zinio Magazines through Recorded Books.  We
have received our confirmation and our plans are to be going live in the
next couple of days.  We may not make a public announcement for a few days.
We set a budget of $1500 for the magazines and were able to select 72 titles
for just under that amount.  The access fee changes with the circulation
size of your library so our fee would be much smaller than yours.

The magazines are always available either on the computer or mobile device.
They are not available on the Nook at this time.

Our Recorded Books representative handled our account.  If you don't have a
representative, our contact person is Debbie McDonald; cell: 614-354-4692;
email: dmcdonald at recordedbooks.com

Good Luck.

Carol Cobbs, Director/Fiscal Officer
Columbiana Public Library
332 N. Middle Street
Columbiana, OH  44408
Ph:  330-482-5509

Thanks to everyone who responded to my first request, and I hope to soon here from all of you with this addendum request.

Yours truly,

Sara Churchill
Information Services Librarian
Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County
305 Wick Avenue
Youngstown, OH 44503
330-744-8636
schurchill at libraryvisit.org