[OPLINLIST] circulation questions

Sarah L. Hintz shintz at pickawaylib.org
Tue Mar 12 10:28:31 EDT 2013

Hi all,

We are examining ways to update some of our circulation rules and we are curious what other libraries are doing. We have compiled some questions that we would like to see how other libraries are handling the situations. If you would please take the time to look these over and answer what you can, we would really appreciate it! Thanks!

*         Do you allow checkout without the library card being present? For example, can they check-out with a photo ID or their library card number and PIN at self-check?

*         Do you allow online patron registration with no paper application at all? If so, how do you handle card applications for minors?

*         Currently, we have patrons sign the Internet Use Policy before they can use the computers. How do you handle internet access?

*         How do you filter internet access for minors? Is it broken down by age range? If so, how many do you have?

*         Do you allow DVD checkouts for everyone, including those under 18? Any restrictions?

*               Do you allow children to request items on their parent's card, especially if it's not an item they can check out in their card?

*         What is your fine threshold? Do you find that it is a good limit?

*         Do you do any sort of fine/ fee amnesty program, such as Food for Fines, Read Off Your Fines, etc? Do you ever do a blanket forgiveness of fines/fees up to a certain dollar amount?

*         Do you limit how many items a patron can request?

*               What do you allow authorized card users to do? Only pick up holds? Check out other items? Pay fines/ fees?

*         Do you allow cell phones to be used in the Library? If so, how do you handle patrons talking loudly on their phone?

*         Is there anything (else) that really works for your Library?

Sarah L. Hintz, Reference & Teen Services Coordinator

Pickaway County District Public Library
1160 N. Court Street
Circleville, Oh 43113
ph. 740.477.1644 ext. 227