[OPLINLIST] Who is STEM for?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Sep 18 15:07:54 EDT 2013

*Are you into STEM?* It’s one thing to point to people or groups we
think are interested in STEM, but that’s different from saying it is for
me. Guess what? *A lot of young people can’t picture themselves doing
STEM projects either*, let alone set their sights on a career in the
sciences.

*We need to be the examples we want young people to find.* And we
especially need more role models for girls and people of color, groups
that are underrepresented in STEM fields. Handing a teen a challenging
book of literature or a challenging book on wiring circuit boards have a
lot in common; in both cases, *we help a teen best when we know about
what we’re handing them.*

*You don’t have to become a programmer or suddenly love beetles and
their life cycles to do this.* There is programming involved in library
tasks like cataloging and database searching. Set your research skills
to hypothesize-and-test language, and you’re asking questions as
scientists do. You can help just by recognizing (and telling people)
that the work you do is already connected to STEM.

*And you can learn about these fields along with young people.* Take the
website IFTTT <http://www.ifttt.com>, which stands for If This, Then
That. It uses logic to accomplish tasks, using real-world data and
services. Tell it to search an RSS feed for a particular sportsball star
(the “If This”), and you can tell it to email you the stories it finds
(the “Then That). See more examples of IFTTT recipes here
<http://notgoingtouniblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/five-ifttt-recipes-to-help-you-get-back-to-school/>.

*SWON is offering a full day of STEM programs you can adapt for Summer
Reading Program events or anywhere you please.* It’s October 7th, just
around the corner, in Hamilton, Ohio. Information and registration is
here: http://tiny.cc/srp-stem

Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

      E-Rate Changes and Workshop

E-Rate is an important funding source, but the competition for those
dollars is fierce, and relatively minor paperwork mistakes can
disqualify you altogether. To help you prepare for E-Rate’s next round,
SWON is one of several sites across the state that’s receiving the
broadcast of the State Library’s November 5th E-Rate workshop. Click
here to tell us you’re coming: http://tiny.cc/swon-erate

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventcalendar.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Writing for the Library Website
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=606>* -
    (9/19/2013) - Online
  * *Academic Retention Series: Ensuring Happy Student Library Workers
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=632>* -
    (9/23/2013) - Gateway College in Edgewood, KY
  * *What You Don’t Know about Body Language
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=607>* -
    (9/24/2013) - Online
  * *Time Management Tune-Up
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=604>* -
    (9/25/2013) - Online
  * *Communicating Up
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=608>* -
    (9/26/2013) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463